my new 14" UltraNote IV

n4rwal

i just got this beauty few days ago and i'm already using it at it's full capacity. here are my pro and contro for the new buyers:
PRO
  • the delivery was perfect, i couldn't ask for more professionalism.
  • the assembly looks solid, but time will tell, for now i'm happy about it :).
  • the components are what i requested and run smoothly as expected.
  • the custom options.
CONTRO
  • the fan noise, it's suprisngly high for an laptop. i think i wouldnt be able to use it in public (university) without attracting attention.
  • upgrading system, i knew that for people like me (who have not an high budget) could upgrade their cpu i5 (the one i choosed) with an i7, but it's only available with new laptops and not in the upgrading system and i don't know why.

sZQqpjh.jpg
U3dmuhe.jpg
S1hOTrP.jpg

Chassis & Display
UltraNote: 14" Matte Full HD IPS LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Dual Core Processor i5-7200U (2.50GHz, 3.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 620 - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 490MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 40W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
2 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf European Power Cable
Sound Card
Realtek 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0
USB Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Battery
UltraNote IV Series 44WH Lithium Ion Battery

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
PCS don't offer CPU/ motherboard upgrades. I'm not sure of the specific reasons though I can think of a few possible ones. For laptops the CPUs are generally soldered on as far as I know.

If it's any comfort there's not much point upgrading from an i5 to an i7 for that laptop. For desktops and 'regular' laptop CPUs, i7 means the CPU has hyperthreading which greatly increases its multithreaded performance over i5s and can be a real asset for things like rendering or some games.

Whereas the Kaby Lake i3/i5/i7 ULV CPUs (like the i3 7100U, i5 7200U, i7 7500U) are all dual cores with hyperthreading.https://ark.intel.com/compare/95442,95443,95451

These are Notebookcheck.net's benchmarks:
KabyULVs.png
http://tinyurl.com/lc5t3lk
The i5 is a lot faster than the i3 due to higher frequencies and turbo-boost, which the i3 doesn't have. The i7 is just a bit faster, certainly not a difference that's likely to warrant the expense of upgrading :)

Last edited:

alacoo

Have you tried updating the wi-fi driver? Another reviewer reported that he had high fan noise when his CPU usage went above 45% which his laptop was doing with the installed driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...eless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t - this should be the latest driver that should hopefully resolve it.

If you try it please let me know how you get on. I'm looking to get one of these in the near future and fan noise would be a big concern.

n4rwal

@alacco no the wifi driver is not the problem .. i mean i dont have default noise, it get loudy only if im using for then one heavy program.
@Oussebon thx for advice