No HDMI audio after windows update

Jes

Hey, I've been using an HDMI cable to connect my PC to an old TV ever since I bought it about 2 years ago. About 5 days ago I got an update for Windows 10 and when my PC restarted it no longer recognised my HDMI cable. The only thing in my device manager is "Realtek High Definition Audio" and obviously its nowhere on playback devices.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers for Realtek and AMD, I've tried every trick the internet has to offer but they all seem to rely on having the HDMI audio in Device Manager and it just is not there.

I do get video (that's how I'm typing this) and it's not the soundcard as plugging headphones in works fine. I really need help with this

devicemanager_screenshot.PNG

My specs:

Radeon Software Version - 17.4.2
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Memory Size - 3072 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 960 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G

Jes

I actually hadn't seen some of the posts on the search results you sent so I'll try some of the solutions and get back if any of them work

Jes

Yep, I just did a whole fresh install of windows and installed all the AMD drivers from scratch and still no luck. I even tried a new HDMI cable but it didn't change anything and I didn't expect it to.

Also tried installing the Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device driver but it gave me this error message:

Attachments

• jesus christ.png
    jesus christ.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 125

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Since this is Windows 10 it will be well worth you doing another clean reinstall (I know, sorry) and allow Windows Update to install all the drivers it can before you install any manually. In my experience at least, Windows 10 makes a much better job of finding the best drivers than earlier versions of Windows. You may not even need to install any drivers manually.

Jes

Got it fixed! I don't know exactly how I did it but these are the steps I took:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (doesn't appear to matter if you keep your personal files or not)
2. Deleted all items in my downloads folder and then emptied the recycling bin (I doubt this was actually instrumental in fixing it but I'm just transcribing what I did)
3. Uninstalled Realtek High Definition Audio from the device manager
4. Uninstalled all realtek and AMD related programs - told the various Uninstall Wizards that I would restart my system later
5. Downloaded the latest Minimal Setup file from AMD and installed it
6. Only after this was installed did I restart

I don't know what could've happened to create a problem where something this long winded is the solution but it worked for me. Thanks to everyone who tried to help but I doubt anyone could've guessed the answer for this one

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Got it fixed! I don't know exactly how I did it but these are the steps I took:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (doesn't appear to matter if you keep your personal files or not)
2. Deleted all items in my downloads folder and then emptied the recycling bin (I doubt this was actually instrumental in fixing it but I'm just transcribing what I did)
3. Uninstalled Realtek High Definition Audio from the device manager
4. Uninstalled all realtek and AMD related programs - told the various Uninstall Wizards that I would restart my system later
5. Downloaded the latest Minimal Setup file from AMD and installed it
6. Only after this was installed did I restart

I don't know what could've happened to create a problem where something this long winded is the solution but it worked for me. Thanks to everyone who tried to help but I doubt anyone could've guessed the answer for this one

My guess would be that the solution was step 5. You probably didn't have the correct chipset driver installed and step 5 reinstalled it for you.

jackadision

By installing the system drivers in compatibility mode you can easily solve this issue. To do this, follow the below given steps:

Right-click the driver setup file and choose Properties.

Then go to Compatibility tab.

Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 7 from the list.

Click Apply and OK.

Run the setup file.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
By installing the system drivers in compatibility mode you can easily solve this issue. To do this, follow the below given steps:

Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 7 from the list.

Click Apply and OK.

Run the setup file.

I can see no reason why you would want to do this if you have the correct drivers for your OS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Click Apply and OK.

Run the setup file.

I can see no reason why you would want to do this if you have the correct drivers for your OS.

I agree with Tony 1044. I'm afraid that, to me, this appears to be a complete misunderstanding of what compatibility mode is for. I wouldn't recommend that anyone follow this advice.

jackadision

I agree with Tony 1044. I'm afraid that, to me, this appears to be a complete misunderstanding of what compatibility mode is for. I wouldn't recommend that anyone follow this advice.

Hey Tony 1044 and Ubuysa Kindly apply the given solution and then come to any point. The given solution is completely tested and worked for me.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Hey Tony 1044 and Ubuysa Kindly apply the given solution and then come to any point. The given solution is completely tested and worked for me.

Ok I will bite.

First off you should never use drivers for a 10 year old OS on Windows 10. If you are having to resort to this, then you have unsupported hardware.

Secondly, the fact that you have to install in safe mode should tell you something - drivers are NEVER designed to be installed in safe mode. In fact, I am surprise you even got the installer service to start.

Third - that's a fudge of the highest order. The fact that it appears to have worked for you is just fortuitous but you've introduced a level of incompatibility and instability at some level.

Fourth - On what planet do you think this would be supported?

What you SHOULD be doing is installing signed drivers in your normal functioning OS. If you cannot understand why this is the case then you are not in a position to give out such stupid and potentially dangerous advice.

And finally - just because it appears to work seamlessly and flawlessly for you doesn't mean it's a valid solution. People have survived from things like their parachutes failing to open. Based on your argument it's valid that everyone should jump out of aeroplanes without parachutes...it's called false or flawed logic.

jackadision

Ok I will bite.

First off you should never use drivers for a 10 year old OS on Windows 10. If you are having to resort to this, then you have unsupported hardware.

Secondly, the fact that you have to install in safe mode should tell you something - drivers are NEVER designed to be installed in safe mode. In fact, I am surprise you even got the installer service to start.

Third - that's a fudge of the highest order. The fact that it appears to have worked for you is just fortuitous but you've introduced a level of incompatibility and instability at some level.

Fourth - On what planet do you think this would be supported?

What you SHOULD be doing is installing signed drivers in your normal functioning OS. If you cannot understand why this is the case then you are not in a position to give out such stupid and potentially dangerous advice.

And finally - just because it appears to work seamlessly and flawlessly for you doesn't mean it's a valid solution. People have survived from things like their parachutes failing to open. Based on your argument it's valid that everyone should jump out of aeroplanes without parachutes...it's called false or flawed logic.

Sorry to say, but kindly read my solution carefully, it is not safe mode- I'm talking about the compatibility mode..

Rakk

The Awesome
Sorry to say, but kindly read my solution carefully, it is not safe mode- I'm talking about the compatibility mode..

Whether it's in safe mode or not, having to run the drivers in compatibility mode means there is something very wrong going on and yes it may have worked for you, but this is NOT the way drivers should be installed as it's quite possible it'll come back to bite you at some point

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Click Apply and OK.

Run the setup file.

The difficulty I have with your 'advice' is your use of the words 'system drivers'. There may be a case if you have some incredibly old device that Windows 10 doesn't support but which earlier versions of Windows did, in attempting to install the driver in compatibility mode - but there is no guarantee it will work. As I have said, I don't think you understand how compatibility mode works.

Compatibility mode works by installing 'schims' so that specific dlls are not fetched from the current Windows kernel but from these 'schims', installed for whatever version of Windows you selected. All that means is that the old driver will be running dll code it expects, but that does not automatically mean that the old hardware will work. It's worth a try, but frankly you should be replacing the old hardware that no longer works with your later versions of Windows.

'System drivers' (and in this thread we've been talking about the chipset driver - the most system sensitive driver you can get) should never ever be installed in compatibility mode. In this thread the OP seems to have not had the correct chipset driver installed after a Windows 10 update - one of many niggles when you do an upgrade in-place.

Without being rude your advice is dangerous and I would never recommend that anyone install any drivers in compatibility mode except under the very specific case that you have an old device that does not have a valid driver for the version of Windows you have installed. In that sole case, installing a driver for an older version of Windows in compatibility mode is worth a try, but that doesn't mean it will work, it may well not. Do your research before you upgrade Windows to be sure all the devices you have are properly supported in the new version.