Installing Win 7 Pro 64 and Chipset and Drivers

roggro

Good Morning.
Following the death of my 10 year old laptop and still having the Win 7 Pro 64 retail DVD.
My new PC has no operating system but all the drivers have been preloaded.
I will be installing Win7 Pro and just want to check if the following is required after reading this on the ASUS web site, "Based on the chipset specification, Skylake (H110/H170/Z170/B150/Q150/Q170) and Braswell platform require USB 3.0 drivers to be preloaded in order to use USB keyboard/mouse during Windows 7 installation."

My first question is, is my chipset a Skylake? I have USB3 and USB2 sockets on my PC so do I have to do the above if my chipset is Skylake?

My second question is, after installing Win 7 Pro 64 will I have to reinstall all the mother board drivers and other drivers?

Thank you.
REgards.
Roger

roggro

It has 30 day trail version of Win 10 Pro 64 bit, so I assume the drivers would have been preloaded with that to where ever a PC stores drivers.

Rakk

The Awesome
Presuming its the same one as in the other thread its:
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-7600K (3.8GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® H110-T: (Mini-ITX, DDR4, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s)
So your CPU is a KabyLake CPU not Skylake, though you may need to do the same as for the Skylake installation, I just don't know.
Any drivers on the machine already will need replacing by Win 7 ones, though do note that Kaby Lake wasn't designed with Windows 7 in mind so you may have to jump through some hoops to get everything working

Last edited:

roggro

Hi.

I have decided against trying to use my old Win 7 disc and have installed Win 10 Pro 64bit.
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi.

I have decided against trying to use my old Win 7 disc and have installed Win 10 Pro 64bit.
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog.

TBH I think that's a wise move and I'm quite sure you'll get used to Windows 10 fairly quickly and then wonder what all the fuss was about. :)

roggro

Hi.

Yes, I am getting used to Win 10 and apart from things being structured slightly differently to Win 7 it is easy and a pleasure to use. Indeed I am now wondering what all the fuss was about. I was impressed the way Win 10 just found my printer on the network and sorted all the drivers out.
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yeah there are a lot of things to like with Win 10 - MS dropped the "Metro" (as it was originally known) GUI they put into 8.0 and went back to a more traditional desktop which seemed to be the number one cause for complaint in Windows 8.0

Interestingly during the Beta (pre-release testing) versions there was a registry key you could set to give you a more traditional Windows 7 look and feel but they removed it from the final release.

In terms of 10, having just rebuilt my own machine, the new version went on seamlessly - found almost all of the hardware, including as you say, the network printers and worked almost perfectly out of the box. I did decide to re-use Creators Edition so I could compare apples with apples as the in place upgrade was giving me lots of niggling issues that seemed to be getting worse with time - most recently Skype for Business voice calls would start fine and degrade the longer the call went on eventually cutting in and out completely.

We shall see what a completely fresh reinstall does.

The biggest complaints people want to level at Microsoft for Windows 10 seem to be: the levels of telemetry which can be dialled back (though I'd agree it would be nice to know exactly what MS were taking back) and if you use Google, Facebook, credit cards etc then you're likely already giving away more information that you'd ever realise or want to - indeed it's just come to light now that some bank websites are using tracking apps so they can analyse a persons bank details to pre-determine credit worthiness...now THAT is a massive breach of security and privacy and one of the many reasons I use things like uBlock Origin and No-script plugins on my main browser.

After that is the question of updates - on the one hand home users don't get a chance to defer or ignore updates: they get them. Now ok, there have been cases where MS (and others - especially antivirus companies) have borked updates but I am definitely of the opinion that the minimal risk is worth a secure (as much as possible) system. The other issue around updates is getting the latest "evergreen" version of Windows if you want it or not. Again though see my last point.

Overall it's a decent OS. I'm not as impressed with it overall as I was with Windows 7 on release but that's possibly because 10 is so much like it compared to 8.1 and I am just used to it.