Help With Creating Windows Image. Win 10 Pro 64 Bit.

roggro

Hi.
I have tried creating a back up of the windows image on my PC using the inbuilt windows create an image function. I try to save the image to my QNAP NAS which is on the same home network
When I do this I get two error messages 0x807800C5 and 0x80780081. I understand that one error message is to do with the EFI partition, mine is 260Mb GPT (EFI System Partition). I cannot see another EFI system partition anywhere. I understand that the other error message is do with trying to save to an external drive that already has an EFI Partition on it. I have deleted the folder on my NAS where I was trying to save the image to but the message reappears.
So I am at a loss as what to do to get this to work.

So any help would be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
This is likely because the NAS is a Linux based system.

If the QNAP supports it, try creating an iSCSI partition to backup to.

EDIT: Or try different backup software might be simpler.

roggro

Thank you Tony.

I think I will use a third party software, sounds as if that will be easier.
Regards.
Rog.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thank you Tony.

Regards.
Rog.

You're welcome. I had to give up in the end - have two NAS' that I tried to use the inbuilt backup tool to and neither played ball with SMB (normal "Windows" shares). Switched to iSCSI and no more issues.

At the time I did a lot of digging - some could be hacked but would revert on any upgrades so it just wasn't worth bothering with in the long term.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you Tony.

Regards.
Rog.

I'd strongly recommend Macrium Reflect (free) from https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. It takes a full image of your system drive to a file which can be stored anywhere. I've been using it successfully for several years (and I've restored from these backups on many occasions too). It works.

BTW. You can also mount a Reflect image as a virtual drive so that you can access the files and folders in the backup file without having to restore it.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'd strongly recommend Macrium Reflect (free) from https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. It takes a full image of your system drive to a file which can be stored anywhere. I've been using it successfully for several years (and I've restored from these backups on many occasions too). It works.

BTW. You can also mount a Reflect image as a virtual drive so that you can access the files and folders in the backup file without having to restore it.

I believe quite a few of the other guys here use it and rate it very highly too. I haven't personally used it but you can trust if Ubuyusa says it's a good product, it is.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you Tony. I will use Macrium.

After you've installed Reflect be sure to make a bootable backup media (DVD or USB stick) so that you can boot the Macrium Reflect engine from there should you suffer a catastrophic loss. If you can arrange it you'll find it useful to do a test of the bootable media and a restore of a disk image so that you know how it runs and what to expect. The time to be learning how to do a restore is not when you're panicking after a major failure. :)

roggro

Hi.

I have installed Macrium and created a bootable usb stick. I put the usb stick in my pc and booted it up and it just booted as normal. I suspect that the boot order needs changing in the BIOS. I plucked up the courage and had a look in the BIOS but could not see anything that said usb. It tells me the boot order is as follows:
#1 Windows Boot Manager.
#2 UEFI: IP4 Realtek PCIe GB Family Controller.
#3 UEFI: IP4 Realtek Ethernet Connection.
#4 SATA6G_1 WDC HDD.
#5 SATA6G_2 Pioneer BD-RW.

Would the USB boot be in one of the above? Or does not exist in my PC/setup?
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi.

I have installed Macrium and created a bootable usb stick. I put the usb stick in my pc and booted it up and it just booted as normal. I suspect that the boot order needs changing in the BIOS. I plucked up the courage and had a look in the BIOS but could not see anything that said usb. It tells me the boot order is as follows:
#1 Windows Boot Manager.
#2 UEFI: IP4 Realtek PCIe GB Family Controller.
#3 UEFI: IP4 Realtek Ethernet Connection.
#4 SATA6G_1 WDC HDD.
#5 SATA6G_2 Pioneer BD-RW.

Would the USB boot be in one of the above? Or does not exist in my PC/setup?
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog

You're right that you need to change the boot order to boot the USB stick first. In your list, item 1 is Windows of course, items 2 and 3 are for network boot which you'll probably never do and item 5 looks like your DVD drive. Item 4 looks like a Western Digital external hard drive, could that be your USB stick?

roggro

Hi.
Thank you for your responce.
I did not have the usb stick plugged in when I looked in the BIOS/UEFI so I assumme #4 WDC HDD is the following, which is installed, "500GB WD BLACK 3.5" WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)"
So it would appear my pc does not have the ability to boot from usb.
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Most newer PCs do have the option, but you would need to have the USB stick plugged in when you turn it on :)

I must admit I am slight confused though, you have a thread talking about a new machine (an AIO I think) which I think you're putting Win7 onto, so I presume the machine you're trying to boot using the USB stick an older PC of yours that you're trying to put an image onto? - or have i really confused myself :)

Last edited:

roggro

Hi.
Sorry I am abit behind with the posts, events have over taken me.
This is the same pc.
However not wanting to jump through hoops trying to put Win 7 on I have put Win 10 Pro 64 on my AIO.
I had the usb stick plugged in when I turned the pc on but it just booted up in Win 10 and not the Macrium Win PE, also I was not asked where I wanted to boot from.
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi.
I did not have the usb stick plugged in when I looked in the BIOS/UEFI so I assumme #4 WDC HDD is the following, which is installed, "500GB WD BLACK 3.5" WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)"
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog

Well that's possible. You could always create a bootable DVD with Macrium Reflect and boot from that.

roggro

Good Morning.

I have created a bootable DVD with Macrium Reflect and changed the boot order in the UEFI BIOS so that the DVD RW boots before Windows Boot Manager and booted my PC and it booted into the Macrium WinPE on the DVD disc.
Is it advisable to leave the BIOS set so that the DVD RW comes before Windows Boot Manager or should I change it back so that Windows Boot Manager comes before the DVD RW?
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Leaving it on the DVD will marginally slow down your boot times as it looks to see if there's a disk and if not carry on.

Unless you have a bootable DVD/CD in, of course, at which point it'll try to boot from it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Leaving it on the DVD will marginally slow down your boot times as it looks to see if there's a disk and if not carry on.

Unless you have a bootable DVD/CD in, of course, at which point it'll try to boot from it.

And because of the above it really depends on how often you'll be booting form a DVD. If it's something you might do fairly often then leaving the DVD first in the boot order makes this a 'fire and forget' system because you just bung a DVD in and boot. If you make the Windows Boot Manager the first in the list then each time to want to boot a DVD you have to enter the BIOS first and change the boot order (some BIOSes have a function key specifically for specifying which device to boot).

The extra time taken on boot to check whether there is a DVD in the drive is marginal but noticeable (about a couple of seconds or thereabouts on an empty drive - though it's a few seconds longer if there is a non-bootable disk in the drive) and it is a PITA if you intend to boot Windows and forget that you left a bootable disk in the drive...

Apart from that having the DVD above Windows Boot Manager in the boot order has no implications or problems at all.

roggro

Hi.
The only time I can see myself booting from the DVD-RW is if the Windows Boot Manager stops working for some reason and/or I cannot get into the BIOS to change the boot order or if I am ever having an issue getting the PC to boot in to Windows.
My worry/concern comes from my last PC suddenly not wanting to boot and there was nothing I could do because, I assume, it got Windows Boot Manager and would go no further and it would not go to the USB or the DVD-RW to enable me to try and perform some sort of rescue. I am just trying to do what I can now to prevent that sort of thing happening to me again. Once bitten and horses and stable doors and all that.
Thank you.
Regards.
Rog.