Cosmos VI Review

fradon

Having ordered and received (in good shape and on time) a custom Cosmos VI a few weeks ago I can safely say that this is the best purchase I will make in a long time. Being able to cut the cost of a licensed OS from the laptop saved me £100 which I put toward an i7 processor which has sped up my image/video editing a huge amount, beating out the performance of my desktop computer running an i5 by a large amount.

Pros:
The case, while slightly tacky with the odd angles, is solid and feels sturdy. There is no wobble in the screen, and the case comes across as being very clean looking, it's refreshing to not have a large logo placed on the back.
- The screen displays colours correctly, has a wide range of brightness, and seems to reduce glare.
- The keyboard is light to the touch and nice to type on, includes a numpad, and is easily visible at night thanks to the backlit keys (how I ever lived without this I don't know).
- The touchpad was insensitive at first, but with some tweaking it works well, the left/right click buttons are solid and difficult to accidentally click which I like.
- The webcam and mic are both high quality enough for enjoyable skype conversations.

Cons:
- The fan can be quite loud at times when the laptop heats up, though not as loud as my previous laptop.
- The speakers are also very tinny sounding and aren't very loud (only noticeable when you're trying to play music at parties), I would definitely recommend having a set of good headphones to go along with this.

Overall, this is the best specced laptop you can get for a price tag of £740 (which I could find after hours of searching) short of building your own.
laptop1.jpg

laptop2.jpg laptop3.jpg

Stephen M

Author Level
Nice review. I agree about saving money, as a Linux user I prefer to spend the 100 on useful things like RAM or towards a CPU, rather than an OS I will never use.

Artiom

Good review, this model has excellent performance/price ratio.
Can you please post the full spec of your laptop? like CPU/RAM/HDD?
My employer bought me the same model and I am interested how your laptop performs in terms of CPU temperature - especially under load.

Thank you,