HKKbdFltr.sys Blue Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgrippA

Hey all,

I picked up a PCS laptop for Christmas last year but ever since it arrived i have been getting constant bluescreens with the error reporting an issue with HKKbdFltr.sys. The Blue screens were very infrequent before, but have since been getting much more common.

The laptop is an Octane with a i7-6700k processor and a GTX 1070 GPU, 32GB ram runnin Win10 and there is no indication of any major hardware failure anywhere in the major components and no suggestion of conflicting software anywhere else. Most searching I have done on this seem to say its a mouse or touchpad driver but in truth I am not aware of the associated software being installed on my machine. I also cant seem to find any driver updates for anything related to this.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on what to do, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Could anyone point me in the right direction on what to do, I'm at a bit of a loss.

It is more than likely to do with the Hotkey drivers which I believe are required on most of the PCS laptops for everything to work properly - but I'd wait til someone else replies to confirm as I do not have a laptop so this is an educated guess on my part :)

AgrippA

Many thanks for the replies and for the suggestion Amoshi, I'll give it a go when I get home tonight and see how it goes for a week or so.

If it seems to work I will report back in case someone in the future gets the same problem.

AgrippA

Checking back after a week.

The fix posted on Amoshi's link seems to have worked so far.

Rather than making both changes at once I decided to do them one at a time and see what happens, so I performed the regedit for just the Keyboard first, the error happened again but this time the reporting problem was the always mouse (HKMouFltr). I then restored the Reg entry for the keyboard and edited the mouse Reg entry, and the reported problem on crash returned to being the keyboard (HKKbdFltr).

Changed the registry entry for both as suggested on Amoshi's link and haven't crashed so far in the past 4 days.

Will update again if the problem returns but for now I'm looking good. Thanks to all who posted to help, its a great feeling to get this fixed, so I can't thank you enough.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Checking back after a week.

The fix posted on Amoshi's link seems to have worked so far.

Rather than making both changes at once I decided to do them one at a time and see what happens, so I performed the regedit for just the Keyboard first, the error happened again but this time the reporting problem was the always mouse (HKMouFltr). I then restored the Reg entry for the keyboard and edited the mouse Reg entry, and the reported problem on crash returned to being the keyboard (HKKbdFltr).

Changed the registry entry for both as suggested on Amoshi's link and haven't crashed so far in the past 4 days.

Will update again if the problem returns but for now I'm looking good. Thanks to all who posted to help, its a great feeling to get this fixed, so I can't thank you enough.

Fingers crossed for you, but I wanted to compliment you on your excellent troubleshooting skills. Changing one thing at a time and seeing how the system behaves, then restoring that change if it has no effect, is absolutely the right way to troubleshoot.

+rep deserved and given.

PS. Sorry if this sounds patronising, it's not meant to be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.