What processors are compatible with the Vortex Minerva II gaming PC?

pagie_

I was looking to upgrade the processor in my Vortex Minerva II gaming PC (with an ASUS M5A97 motherboard) and was wondering what processors were compatible with it. Any Intel ones would be preferable (ideally an i5) but an AMD Ryzen would be great too. I want to avoid any of the RX ones, if possible, and if no Intel or Ryzen ones were possible, the fastest of the rest of AMD's range.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you go to the manufacturers website it shows which CPUs are compatible. Is it an AMD build? If that's the case no intel CPUs will be compatible and for a ryzen CPU you need a new motherboard.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
CPUs fit specific motherboard sockets, which are different for AMD and Intel, and are often different for each generation of CPU. You can see which CPUs your motherboard fits on the Support section of the manufacturer website https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/

But the short version is that it only fits FX series CPUs that, at this stage, aren't really worth buying given that they're old tech and pretty weak for gaming relative to modern AMD and Intel options. While you could buy a more powerful FX CPU, that's still £100 and not very good vs other modern options.

However, more modern options will require a new motherboard, and new RAM, since modern CPUs take DDR4.

Unless the CPU is crippling your gaming performance I'd suggest putting up with what you have and holding off until you can upgrade the CPU, mobo, and RAM.