recommend mini PC for 100% non-computer users

andwan0

Am pretty new to mini PCs. I have a few queries about mini PCs before I make my purchase.

Do mini PCs run special locked-down OSes, or is the OS (ie. Windows 10) more of less fully functional Windows 10?

I want a mini PC for my computer illiterate mum to connect to her TV, who lives on other side of the country from me. Some tasks I want to do: Set up movies/TV-programmes/etc, find foreign subtitles and ensure they are synced (subtitle with video). It would be nice for the mini PC to power down when not in use, and to power on via network (PXE-wakeup?).

So yeah, playing ripped DVDs, and manually attaching foreign subs.

I need to know whether a particular mini-PC will auto startup from network, via remote desktop connection, or Team Viewer, etc.?

I guess this is possible with: https://www.howtogeek.com/192642/how-to-remotely-turn-on-your-pc-over-the-internet/
Wake-On-LAN. Just need confirmation that mini-PC can do this too.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There are a few different kinds of mini PC (mini ITX, NUCs, etc) that PCS sell, but as far as I know they all use regular Windows as you'd find on any 'regular' desktop.

You could use something like Teamviewer to remote control it.

What exactly do you have in mind for her TV in terms of programs? Live TV? Or just things like BBC iPlayer? Or movies ripped from DVD?