Fall Creator's Upgrade fail

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I spent most of yesterday playing with the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Upgrade, newly downloaded to a bootable USB stick via the Microsoft Media Creation tool. I had three goes at clean installing it (I never do an upgrade in place) and all had the same issues. These were....

1. Edge freezes almost every time I try to use it. See https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/95995-clean-install-fall-creators-update-state-repository-service.html for someone else with the same problem.

2. CPU usage climbs up and down erratically due to a system service called service host: state repository service, this causes slowdowns and delays. See https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/issue-with-windows-10-fall-creators-update.417413/ for someone else with the same problem.

All installs were completely clean, deleting all system drive partitions and creating new ones (UEFI/GPT). I tried both allowing Windows Update installing all drivers and using the latest drivers from the Asus website (I have and Asus Z170-E board) before running Windows Update. There are it seems a couple of workarounds for these issues, one involves disconnecting from the Internet during the install until prompted during the setup, the other involves creating a new standard account and then making it an Admin account. Frankly I don't like workarounds so I have restored the latest disk image of the Creator's Edition and I'll wait a month or two before trying the Fall Creator's Edition again. It does appear to be more of a feature release rather than a system performance release so I'm not missing much I don't think.

I'd be interested if anyone else has had similar issues with a clean install of Fall Creator's? Apparently these issues only happen on clean installs, but that's not reason enough for me to chance an upgrade in place....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I must admit, on a purely idiotic basis, I decided to do in place upgrades on 1 laptop (vortex IV) and 2 desktops (my own homegrown and my parents dell). I have to say, so far I haven't come across any issues, the install went smoothly and there haven't been any bugs to speak of.

This is useful info though, thanks for the heads up. I will always do a full reinstall over an upgrade, just waiting a little while with this one.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I've held off this time. As you know i had awful problems with the in place upgrade I chanced on Creators Edition and I've had no time to do a fresh install. Kind of glad now, hearing that.

Filbee

Fall Creators update - anyone using this yet?

My Defiance III (7700HQ / GTX1070 ) has never been offered the "upgrade" to the Creators edition of Win10. As a result I've stayed on the vanilla version, not forcing the install as there were some users who had issues with networking etc.

Just wondered whether anyone had successfully installed the Fall Creators update, and whether there have been any problems?

Thanks all

Filbee

Ahh thanks - and sorry for duplicate thread. Must remember to use search next time. Guess I'll follow the general consensus and steer clear for now!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ahh thanks - and sorry for duplicate thread. Must remember to use search next time. Guess I'll follow the general consensus and steer clear for now!

I've done an upgrade rather than clean install on 3 devices and faced only a couple of issues, although main use so far has been browsing in chrome, streaming tv with nowtv and plex and a little gaming (Bioshock remaster, Doom 2016 and the second wolfenstein). There's a bit of jerky playback of any streaming, weather through nowtv app or chrome browser, although playback through plex on my apple tv is not affected so it definitely seems like an issue localised to perhaps browser needing updating in FCE.

Other than that, so far, I haven't had any issues.

Obviously once they've ironed out all the bugs, I'll do a clean install, but this will do me for now.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've merged these two threads since it's probably sensible to keep this all in one place.

It would appear that both issues I've experienced happen if there is Internet access available from the very start. The workaround seems to be to disconnect the Ethernet cable before starting the install and only reconnect it when required during the OOBE setup (apparently at the region selection page). I haven't tested this yet, but if I get time today I'll give it a go and report back.

It may be that those using WiFi to connect to the Internet may not experience this issue since they don't have Internet access until the OOBE setup has started. It would be interesting to confirm that.....

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Damn nice find if that is true Ubuysa. I use a cabled network clnnection so as soon as I can dedicate some time to it I will check it out.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've just done another clean install of the Fall Creator's Upgrade, and this one was successful and it's running well now. As suggested in the post I linked to earlier, I unplugged the Ethernet cable from my router and did a cold start of the PC. I left the Ethernet cable out right up until the OOBE setup had completed and I was looking at the Windows desktop, naturally I did not connect to WiFi when it was offered.

I have no idea why this works and the props are due to the poster I linked to, he found the workaround. I can confirm that unplugging the Ethernet cable (and I would also suggest not connecting via WiFi) does allow a clean install of the Fall Creator's Upgrade.

:)

Last edited:
G

Gimpet

Thank you for the updates on the Fall Creators Update. This will also help us troubleshooting potential problems.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
For anyone on the fence with regards to the Fall Creators Edition, it now has anti-ransomware technology built in: http://www.techradar.com/news/windo...-ramps-up-security-with-ransomware-protection

It's worth noting that you should still have regular backups but this is an extra step in the right direction.

Yes, it's called 'Controlled Folder Access' and it's turned off by default (you can find it in the Windows Defender Security Center). It basically controls write access to your user folders and is designed to stop ransomware encrypting them. I have had a play with it and it does throw up a large number of false positives and blocks access to several third party apps if you turn it on. You can of course allow these apps access so once it's all setup this will be a useful tool, but there is a bit of pain involved in getting it set up. One problem is that when you get the notification of a program being blocked you need to note it down because the notification disappears pretty quickly and there is no history kept for you to go back to!

The other new component is called 'Exploit Protection' and most of these are on by default (things like DEP for example). I doubt most users would ever want or need to mess with these settings.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And now might be a good time for people to start enabling it. Apparently we have a new nasty doing the rounds, called "Bad Rabbit" which may or may not be related to notPetya:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/bad-rabbit-ransomware-what-to-do,news-26038.html

Advice from our security team is not to install any apparent Adobe updates over the next 5 or so days unless you purposefully get them from the Adobe website - especially Flash.

Good advice, but I'd add the need to backup regularly (I backup every night) and if in doubt backup again. Did I mention it's important to backup?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Good advice, but I'd add the need to backup regularly (I backup every night) and if in doubt backup again. Did I mention it's important to backup?

I think you missed the bit about backing up.

Yeah we are on the same sheet. Ideally backups that are not overwritten of course because it's not so good when you find you've been backing up encrypted files.

One of the lovely things I like about my Seafile implementation is how it creates delta copies of files as they change so if they do become encrypted, you can walk back through the deltas to a point when they were not encrypted.

All of my docs, for example. sync to it automatically as well as my other backup regimes.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Just upgraded. Decided that to expedite it I'd do an in-place again as at this point I didn't want the extended downtime - start to finish was about 20 mins and so far (touch wood) I haven't noticed any difference.

I've enabled Controlled Folder Access and added in a handful of applications I know would cause problems. Again,so far nothing noticeable.

When I can spare the time I will do a completely fresh install.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So I just came to update VMware Workstation as the version I had doesn't play nicely with Win 10 Fall CE.

As expected, the protected folder mechanism kicked in.

Slightly unexpected was that it caught msiexec.exe which is the inbuilt Windows MSI Installer exe.

Added that but it still wouldn't play -kept telling me it was blocking changes.

In the end I had to actually add the installer package exe in its entirety.

So I still think this is a good idea but may be a bit clunky still at this stage.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So I just came to update VMware Workstation as the version I had doesn't play nicely with Win 10 Fall CE.

As expected, the protected folder mechanism kicked in.

Slightly unexpected was that it caught msiexec.exe which is the inbuilt Windows MSI Installer exe.

Added that but it still wouldn't play -kept telling me it was blocking changes.

In the end I had to actually add the installer package exe in its entirety.

So I still think this is a good idea but may be a bit clunky still at this stage.

And I fully agree. I even had to add cmd [dot] exe of all things yesterday! It is very clunky and I would really want to see more granularity too. As things stand any program you grant access has access to ALL protected files and folders, I would like to be able to specify which folder a given program is allowed to access. It is a step in the right direction though but, like much in Windows 10, it's very much a work in progress.

Note: I had to enter cmd [dot] exe because Cloudfare flags the proper filename as an error!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
And I fully agree. I even had to add cmd [dot] exe of all things yesterday! It is very clunky and I would really want to see more granularity too. As things stand any program you grant access has access to ALL protected files and folders, I would like to be able to specify which folder a given program is allowed to access. It is a step in the right direction though but, like much in Windows 10, it's very much a work in progress.

Note: I had to enter cmd [dot] exe because Cloudfare flags the proper filename as an error!

It is clunky. I suspect they'll get there eventually.

Another bit of clunkiness on my machine is the popup to tell you what was blocked is truncated so can be tricky to tie down. And...got to the notifications, it's still truncated...ok...click on to expand...nope, takes you to the page to configure it.

And some weirdness - I do a lot of stuff in the command line and so far it's accepted everything without needing to be added. You would think that MS would allow it's own hashed executables.

Good ol' Cloudflare