overlocking non K

ifeedcat

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT: Mini-ITX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs

I suspect this can't be overclocked based on what I read on the internet due to BIOS upgrade or w.e.
At the moment changing frequencies wont the boot the PC and XTU tool takes no effect on any voltage/clock changes to the Cores.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can't change the multiplier as that's locked, but you can OC the CPU using the BCLK frequency.

But this is less straightforward, and the gains are more limited. It also affects things like memory frequency.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qzwOyL1c-w

Note that this begins with a long discussion of updating the BIOS. Updating the BIOS can have implications for your warranty, and can brick the motherboard.

I wouldn't describe it as anywhere near worth it unless you play World of Warcraft and desperately need every single last frame per second out of your system.

Also if your other thread you were worried about temps. Overclocking is a good way to raise your temps. :)

ifeedcat

That's what i read as well.
Well basically i have only managed to amend the boost , some turbo boosting for booting and voltages for ram and cpu.
My CPU temps with nox player , chrome tabs is around avg 50 as opposed used to be 40-45.
I have done a stress tests via XTU and on full load highest it got was 81 but was mainly jumping from 70 to 75.

And managed to get GPU to

1308 Mhz over 3004 memory without any crashes so far while stress testing or during video benchmarking.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
May I recommend reading the reason behind it, in case it's not entirely relevant to what you're doing. :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you're using BLCK overclock, as far as I know, you're not using the straight XMP profiles as the BLCK clock changes the RAM frequency.

I'd suggest slowing down and reading up a lot more before you proceed.

ifeedcat

If you're using BLCK overclock, as far as I know, you're not using the straight XMP profiles as the BLCK clock changes the RAM frequency.

I'd suggest slowing down and reading up a lot more before you proceed.

Any input on using LLC on non K processor?

BLCK overclock is disabled on my processor , as one of the people mentioned above it locked. I dont want to mess with it on such low CPU.

As far as i understand on non heavy OC machine using LLC makes no benefit ?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think you're best off leaving it all at stock settings with the regular XMP profile for the RAM in all honesty...

BLCK has nothing to do with locked multiplier. Changing it is one of the ways to overclock when you do have a locked multiplier.

What's locked is the CPU ratio / multiplier, which when multiplied by the BLCK is what gives you the frequency.

e.g my 3770k has the normal BLCK of 100, and a CPU ratio/multiplier of 46, giving it 4600MHz. Your CPU's ratio is locked, but the BLCK isn't. It may be that your motherboard's BIOS doesn't allow you to play with it, but it is possible to OC a CPU that has the multiplier locked by changing the BLCK as per that video above.

Frankly I think you ought to leave it alone and research a lot more before screwing with this stuff :)

Last edited:

ifeedcat

I think you're best off leaving it all at stock settings with the regular XMP profile for the RAM in all honesty...

BLCK has nothing to do with locked multiplier. Changing it is one of the ways to overclock when you do have a locked multiplier.

What's locked is the CPU ratio / multiplier, which when multiplied by the BLCK is what gives you the frequency.

e.g my 3770k has the normal BLCK of 100, and a CPU ratio/multiplier of 46, giving it 4600MHz. Your CPU's ratio is locked, but the BLCK isn't. It may be that your motherboard's BIOS doesn't allow you to play with it, but it is possible to OC a CPU that has the multiplier locked by changing the BLCK as per that video above.

Frankly I think you ought to leave it alone and research a lot more before screwing with this stuff :)

If I change BLCK , pc wont boot have to reset bios to default to get it back running.