Is it possible for the CPU to do this?

Nemoh88

Hi. Newbie here. Just a quick question. I was just wondering if it is possible for the cpu in a build to cause an electrical buzzing noise from around the video card when then card is under load? Now before people say, I'm 99% sure it isn't the gpu, psu, mobo, fans or cpu cooler as I have swapped them all several times and done various tests. The only two parts I'm yet to look into are the cpu and ram. It does seem like a power or card issue but I have swapped both 3 times! It is very confusing. Thanks for any help.

steaky360

You've swapped the motherboard around several times? If it isn't the graphics card or the PSU I'd have thought it would be the motherboard.

Electrical buzzing is usually from either the PSU or the Graphics cards (from what I've read/seen here/my own experience) but of course many electrical components may produce a buzz if something is wrong. That said, I'd be really surprised if it is either the CPU or the RAM, I'd have guessed it has to be something with a capacitor on it (this may be my ignorance talking though).

It seems you might have tried this during your own troubleshooting but here are some things to try;

• If the PC has discrete graphics (i.e. on-CPU graphics) then try to remove the graphics card entirely see if the problem persists.
  • If you can, take the PSU out of the case (you can use the same one, its just to isolate the noise) - check to confirm its not the PSU
  • If you think it could be RAM, you can try to remove some of the RAM see if it makes a difference, remove all the sticks and re-insert one at a time (you can try different slots too to see if that makes a difference).
  • As for the CPU, not much I can think of to test, if you can get the rig to run 'not' under load with no buzz then apply a CPU only load to see if the buzz returns that might help narrow it down?

Last edited:

Nemoh88

You've swapped the motherboard around several times? If it isn't the graphics card or the PSU I'd have thought it would be the motherboard.

Electrical buzzing is usually from either the PSU or the Graphics cards (from what I've read/seen here/my own experience) but of course many electrical components may produce a buzz if something is wrong. That said, I'd be really surprised if it is either the CPU or the RAM, I'd have guessed it has to be something with a capacitor on it (this may be my ignorance talking though).

It seems you might have tried this during your own troubleshooting but here are some things to try;

• If the PC has discrete graphics (i.e. on-CPU graphics) then try to remove the graphics card entirely see if the problem persists.
  • If you can, take the PSU out of the case (you can use the same one, its just to isolate the noise) - check to confirm its not the PSU
  • If you think it could be RAM, you can try to remove some of the RAM see if it makes a difference, remove all the sticks and re-insert one at a time (you can try different slots too to see if that makes a difference).
  • As for the CPU, not much I can think of to test, if you can get the rig to run 'not' under load with no buzz then apply a CPU only load to see if the buzz returns that might help narrow it down?

Yeah it is a confusing one.

As far as your points to test/check...

• It's a Ryzen so sadly no iGPU.

• The noise comes from around the gpu but I also get a little bit of a buzz/clicking from clocking psu at the same time.

• To be honest I've not given much thought to it being the RAM. Could RAM issue cause other areas to buzz?

• I have run cpu-z and got no noise at all.

It's just one big rubbish mystery.

steaky360

I'd be really surprised if its the ram, I was just going from your initial post suggesting you'd tried pretty much everything else. Its entirely feasible that the buzz is coming from the GPU however. Fixing it would be entirely out of my knowledge base, I think from reading similar posts in the past (if I'm remembering correctly anyway) that these things end up needing RMA'ing to fix. Might be worth getting in touch with PCS if the buzzing is persistent. See if they can offer any additional support or even RMA the rig to investigate?

Nemoh88

I'd be really surprised if its the ram, I was just going from your initial post suggesting you'd tried pretty much everything else. Its entirely feasible that the buzz is coming from the GPU however. Fixing it would be entirely out of my knowledge base, I think from reading similar posts in the past (if I'm remembering correctly anyway) that these things end up needing RMA'ing to fix. Might be worth getting in touch with PCS if the buzzing is persistent. See if they can offer any additional support or even RMA the rig to investigate?

Yeah. Thing is I am on my 3rd gpu (2 1080s and now 1070) and it's doing it at low fps etc with vsync on.

steaky360

Hmmmm... could it be that the sound is actually coming from the PSU then rather than the GPU? its the next thing I can think of that usually makes a noise (coil whine) but I guess you've described it as a buzzing so maybe not.

Is it audible normally? Or are you getting real close to the case (I appreciate it probably shouldn't be buzzing at all, but just curious).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is there any chance you could record the buzzing sound? Moving the microphone (or phone) around the components inside might help too. If we could hear the sound we might have a better suggestion of where it might be coming from. :)

Nemoh88

Is there any chance you could record the buzzing sound? Moving the microphone (or phone) around the components inside might help too. If we could hear the sound we might have a better suggestion of where it might be coming from. :)

I am not at home at the moment so can't do one moving around the case but I do have a video of the noise from the outside...

https://youtu.be/4MHSuh4IeoE

This is basically what I get on certain games at 60fps and even lower.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's really hard to hear anything on that, but apart form movement of the microphone all I hear is fan noise. But my hearing is shot, I don't hear much above 10kHz anymore... :wheelchair:

Nemoh88

It's really hard to hear anything on that, but apart form movement of the microphone all I hear is fan noise. But my hearing is shot, I don't hear much above 10kHz anymore... :wheelchair:

Yeah I guess it's easier for me to hear as I know the sound. I'll try ny best to get a good video of it today :)

Just a quick one, do these HWinfo screen shots look ok for Cpu and Gpu? The 3rd column (maximum) is usually what I'm getting when the noise starts.

Cpu: http://imgur.com/1ZRvV05

Gpu: http://imgur.com/npoBuv0

If it helps in anyway the build is:

Ryzen 7 1700 (not oc)
Stock cooler
16gb Ballistix Ram 2400
Asus rog strix gtx 1070 (not oc)
Asrock Taichi x370
Corsair RM750x gold+ white

steaky360

I maybe heard a crackle or two in the recording but I put that down to slight movements of the phone doing the recording...

I don't see anything alarming in the HW Monitor screenshots, the max column is just that, the max the CPU/GPU has reached during that session.

Nemoh88

I maybe heard a crackle or two in the recording but I put that down to slight movements of the phone doing the recording...

I don't see anything alarming in the HW Monitor screenshots, the max column is just that, the max the CPU/GPU has reached during that session.

But the maxs are ok? As usually the readings hover around those max readings when the noise is present.