Best Editing Software

bright_user

Hello! :eek:
I am looking for a good editing software which is suitable for Windows? I hope you can suggest some good options. I prefer it to be free. I apologize for the stupid question, but I am still a beginner and want to learn. :whistling: I will appreciate the help!

G

Gimpet

Sony Vegas or Photoshop for Video/Photo editing would be my go-to.

bright_user

Editing what?

Editing videos, I want to have the options to make it looks as professional as possible, to make smooth transitions, inserting voice memos with the option to work on them as well. I am searching for a program similar to iMovie, as I've heard it's the best one. I don't own a Mac, that's why I am looking for an alternative.

ragnar28

I would go with video pad and open-shot one is found on the nch websites , it a far cry from things like after effects but you can do alot of the basics with them and get a feel for video editing , well the simpler things , btw if you download the trail version and it won allow you to export you files , simply Uninstall and reinstall video pad and you have another free 14 days .

bright_user

I would go with video pad and open-shot one is found on the nch websites , it a far cry from things like after effects but you can do alot of the basics with them and get a feel for video editing , well the simpler things , btw if you download the trail version and it won allow you to export you files , simply Uninstall and reinstall video pad and you have another free 14 days .

Is it a good alternative to iMovie though?

bright_user

I don't know why but I can't download it, so I won't be able to try it out. :no:
However, I did my own research, and I found out a piece covering some good alternatives to Premiere Pro, which are free. According to some articles, I've read Premiere Pro is one of the best editing software out there, so I thought I would give it's alternatives a try. Surprisingly, Shotcut worked very well for me, at least for now! It is very easy to use and I love the filters it provides! :yes:

SaxonRix

Bronze Level Poster
Hey, head of production of a video production company here :). Best free video editor would be Davinci Resolve. Might have a slightly steep learning curve but it's definitely powerful. It's actually industry standard colour grading software that recently added editing capabilities. Try it out. Otherwise, other free editors are not great. We use the Adobe suite.

Rivendell

Davinci Resolve (free version) is a beast, but it eats GPU RAM for breakfast (1060 + needed). Openshot is, in my view, the most intuitive and is quite versatile; Shotcut has some Davinci DNA and is well regarded. In truth, you can’t go far wrong with any of them (they all do what you suggest you need them to) and they all handle 4K. Davinci is the only one that is properly configured to create proxy files if your hardware needs help (there are work around in the others). With free downloads you can experiment and take your pick. As to comparisons with iMovie, while the interfaces are all a little different, the basic principle of dragging media onto a timeline and overlaying effects/transitions etc doesn’t change greatly from one to the other.

ragnar28

Hey, head of production of a video production company here :). Best free video editor would be Davinci Resolve. Might have a slightly steep learning curve but it's definitely powerful. It's actually industry standard colour grading software that recently added editing capabilities. Try it out. Otherwise, other free editors are not great. We use the Adobe suite.

While im not on the level that you are, i suggested some free software because op asked for it. However i find after effects and premier pr can pretty much do anything and comes with alot of online tutorials and plugins i dont know what you think of that as a professional but for most of what i have needed to do it works well. I only hear good things of sony vegas however i wish i could get it my laptop.