Portability of mini pc

pkroks

Hi,
I'm interested in a mini pc and need to know how portable it may be. I do a lot of very heavy processing work with imagery, modeling and video editing. I need a machine that I can travel with to site and back.

What kind of weight and portability are we looking at for a mini pc - I am aware that the components will affect the weight. So for example a system with specs as below- the case was chosen because the other mini cases couldn't accommodate a gtx 1080 (said it was too big)

CaseCORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 240 GAMING CASEProcessor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB CacheMotherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING: Mini-ITX, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, DP1st
Hard Disk500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
Intel Optane Memory32GB INTEL® OPTANE MEMORYDVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIREDPower SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingGIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi excluded on H110I-PLUS)
USB OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Several other cases will fit a GTX 1080. It's possible you were only trying the GTX 1080 Strix, which is larger and which other cases may well not fit.

In fact I'd generally recommend the regular GTX 1080 over a Strix one as it's a lot of extra money for very little extra performance - possibly no extra performance at all if you customise the fan profiles anyway.

2nd Hard Disk2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
Intel Optane Memory32GB INTEL® OPTANE MEMORYDVD/BLU-RAY Drive
Buying an SSHD and an Optane memory module, seems somewhat redundant - given what the point of them is.

NOT REQUIREDPower SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
I'd strongly suggest the TMx PSU since it's modular, which is a big advantage for smaller builds.

Hard Disk500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
If you have the budget (dropping from the Strix will help) then the 960 Evo from the M.2 SSD menu would be much faster.

In terms of size and weight, your best bet is just to look up the weights of the components, which will be on the manufacturers' websites.

For the case: Dimensions 397mm x 260mm x 320mm - 5.6kg
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-air-240-high-airflow-micro-atx-and-mini-itx-pc-case

The Fractal Node 304 is:
Case dimensions (W x H x D): 250 x 210 x 374 mm - 4.9 kg
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/node-series/node-304-black

Plus the weights of the components