Laptop temperatures

mike1097

Hello,

With my new laptop, the 15.6" proteus v, I see my laptop getting hot. I did expect this but are unsure if these temperatures are bad or not? Keep in mind I bought the thermal paste for an extra £9 in hope to protect my laptop. It is on a stand so the fans can correctly ventilate, and fans are running at around 2300 rpm, quite loudly.

When idle (not gaming) my GPU runs at about 20-30 degrees. Whist gaming 50-60 degrees.
When idle my CPU runs at about 30- 50 degrees. Whilst gaming at about 60-70 degrees, the highest I noticed is 89 degrees, which worries me! :(

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as its getting to a point that i'm almost scared to use it as I don't want to destroy my new laptop, or its life span!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Those temps are fine. 89 degrees, while high, is still safe. The regular temps are actually pretty good

If you're comfortable undervolting, you could always see if you can reduce the voltage to the 7700HQ while keeping the clock speeds etc the same to see if that reduces temps:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-t...ife-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

But frankly what you've said above isn't cause for concern :)

Do you use a laptop cooling pad?

How do you use your laptop? On your lap, on a bed, on a table?

mike1097

Thank you for the quick reply!

I am using a pad which elevates it. Since writing my post, I have decided to try my console fan pad, though noisy, it seems to be making a difference...

It is placed on a pad, on a wooden table.

What temperature would you say I should be worried?

As I write this, with only this tab open (no games) the temps are: GPU 32 degrees, CPU 36 degrees.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Those idle temps are better than fine.

If your laptop CPU ran in the mid 90s as an average while playing games, then I'd be concerned.

But Kaby Lake CPUs run quite hot and the occasional spike under load is not troubling in itself.

You're not smothering your laptop's cooling vents with cloth etc, which is good.

I think you're fine as you are. If the temps are concerning for you, and you're comfortable with what you're doing, you can consider undervolting. But it doesn't sound particularly worth the effort from what you've described.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Laptops are notoriously difficult to cool because you have all that electronics in a very small volume. The upgraded thermal paste was a very good idea, but it's designed to get the heat away from the CPU/GPU as efficiently as possible and that heat has to go somewhere so the insides of the laptop get hot. The cooling pipes and fans do an excellent job of shifting most of that heat out into the surrounding air, but simple physics means that some of it heats up the fabric of the laptop, especially when it's working hard.

A cooling stand is, in my view, an essential bit of kit for a high-end or gaming laptop. Not only does it ensure that the exhaust air from the fans is moved away from the laptop but it provides a cooler input airstream that makes the cooling effect of the fans more effective, and on top of all that it helps to remove the heat from the laptop body itself. I prefer cooling stands that have an aluminium grid to stand the laptop on rather than a plastic one. Aluminium doesn't retain heat in the same way that plastic does. I've also found that those with one or two larger fans last longer and are generally more effective than those with many smaller fans (which seem to fail fairly quickly).

I am in full agreement with the others however that your current temperatures are not a cause for concern, I would suggest however that you open up the laptop every couple of months (or more often if you think it necessary) and remove any dust and muck that you find inside the case. In particular keep a close eye on the finned heat exchangers next to the fan(s). These are where the copper heat pipes go to and they do all of the cooling, they work just like the radiator on a car, the fan blows cool air over the radiator fins removing the heat. You need as good an airflow through there as you can get, but they are also very quickly and easily blocked up with dust and muck that is sucked in by the fan(s) and this has a BIG impact on the laptop's cooling ability.

If you keep the insides clean, and especially keep the finned heat exhangers clean, and you use a fan-assisted cooling pad then you'll be doing everythig possible to prolong the working life of your laptop. :)

Last edited: