PC arrived, but I could use some assistance

Dear all,

I ordered my PC, and it arrived it very good time as I had it on fastrack. Props to PCS for this.

After running some benchmarks on my PC, when using unigine, my GPU hits around 85degrees, which I feel is a bit hot for a brand new GPU? It is a zotac 1070ti blower, which I cannot seem to find any information on....I have even contacted PCS asking for information on this, giving them the part number but they came back to me saying that they have no record for the part number...is this temp normal for a blower style 1070ti? Any links or info on the zotac blower 1070ti? As I would like to read up on it.

In addition to the above, under small load, my psu makes a very annoying buzzing sound. It's a corsair 550w. After some reading here and there I have concluded that this is "coil whine" and there is nothing that can be done....my question is, can anything be done? As it is very loud under little load, and is there any return/replacement that could happen by PSC ? Is there a sound threshold that would validate a return / replacement?

Much appreciated xxx

For reference, below is my build

Case
NZXT S340 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (BLACK/BLUE)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Six Core Processor i5-8400 (2.8GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z370-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
120GB WD Green™ 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 545MB/sR)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Agreed with the above. What's excessive for coil whine could be subjective, but PCS did agree to replace mine (and the replacement greatly improved the issue too).

You can look up the GPU using GPU-Z's Lookup function. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

It's very likely you won't find out much about it after you get that info though, as if it's an OEM blower cooler card it won't have been reviewed by many hardware magazines. If the temps are high and affecting boost clocks, try using a custom fan profile.

Hi guys, thanks for the response!

I will contact them about replacement PSU. Fingers crossed.

I did use GPU Z, and the lookup function and it said it was a founders edition, but it looks nothing like one. Is is just plain black, no cover, and one single blower fan. Looks very much like a PNY card

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Then it sounds like an OEM blower cooler one, which is pretty similar to a founder's edition but without as much swish to the looks. I believe Nvidia Pascal GPUs target 84 degrees, so 85 isn't as hot as it might sound if you'd been comparing it to the ~79 of Maxwell cards. However, it's still warmer than ideal, so have you considered using a custom fan profile?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys, thanks for the response!

I will contact them about replacement PSU. Fingers crossed.

I did use GPU Z, and the lookup function and it said it was a founders edition, but it looks nothing like one. Is is just plain black, no cover, and one single blower fan. Looks very much like a PNY card

Can you post a photo of the card?

sAAeKNWQXOCIeKH2.jpg

I am travelling and will post exact pic on my return, but attached image is almost identical to the one in my machine(perhaps even the exact one)

Hi, thanks for the replies.

So are OEM products still good? I can't seem to find any reading material on this specific model. Would reading the foundation reviews essentially be the same as my OEM card? Do OEM have any warranty, besides that of PCS warranty? GPU running at 80-85 celcius is still within good operating range?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
So are OEM products still good?
It's still a GTX 1070 ti, yes.

I can't seem to find any reading material on this specific model.
I'm not an industry expert, but as a reader, most reviews of GPUs happen either with a big launch (founder's editions) or with subsequent launches where a company wants to show off its flashy new GPU for you to buy. To review a GPU, you need to have one. And since they're expensive, hardware websites usually rely on being sent one by manufacturers, or getting a loan of one.

OEM GPUs aren't really intended for end users to buy directly - they don't have shiny LEDs, pretty or showy coolers, etc. So manufacturers don't really send them out for review, and magazines don't bother review them because none of their readers are going to buy them.
Would reading the foundation reviews essentially be the same as my OEM card?
It would be similar. Possibly not exactly the same.

Do OEM have any warranty, besides that of PCS warranty?
Probably. Ask PCS to be sure sure.
GPU running at 80-85 celcius is still within good operating range?
See above posts. Pascal GPUs target 84 degrees. And even then, it's quite common for people to increase power and temperature targets for the GPUs even without overclocking/overvolting to boost performance.

If you want to reduce temps and improve your boost clocks (bearing in mind that boost clocks reign themselves in a bit even before the card hits 84) you can set a custom fan profile using software like MSI afterburner.

TL-DR - it's not as good as if you spent £300 extra on a pre-binned EVGA Classified GPU. But it's still a 1070 ti, and it doesn't appear to be melting.

pcsa

Last edited:

pcsa

What game?

FSX, X-Plane 11, The Crew. The Crew is an odd one, as the system runs faster when just sitting looking at the map, same as my old pc.

Now when I first had this new pc a few days ago it showed that the graphics card was running at 30C, fan speed 1100, but now for some reason I don't know it's showing 48C. Have not changed any settings or loaded any new drivers etc.

pcstemp.jpg