I7 8700k heat question

gavbri

Hello I bought a vortex VII/ Clevo p870tm1-g

The CPU does get a little hot and it terminal throttles extremely fast, I've replaced the terminal paste with did help but on idle its about 40-50c with some spikes on one core(it changes from one core to another) spiking to 60+c

Under load it is hitting 90's very fast, using Intel's tool it says its terminal throttling extremely fast, with a overclock it makes it worse,

Any advice or it this normal?

Spec:
I7 870k
16 (2x 8GB) ram 2400 mhz
2x nvidia 1080's
samsung 500gb nvme

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
With an overclock, that's probably normal.

But it shouldn't thermal throttle at stock speeds. That's a bad unit.

Given the other issues you've had I'd be inclined to return it.

If you want to stick with it, a popular method of managing heat is undervolting. But you shouldn't have to undervolt to avoid throttling at stock speeds.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't know what that tool does to the CPU. Obviously it's a stress test, but some stress testing can produce particularly extreme temps e.g. by using AVX. You could try some other tools like Prime95 with AVX disabled, or maybe Cinebench.

gavbri

I've done further testing and I cannot hit the turbo of 4.7GHz, I've had to de-clock it to 4.3ghz, I'm very disappointed as this is a 8700K which should be overclock able but on attempting over 4.7ghz the system powers off completely when under load, suspect temp protection, i know its not a desktop, i just thought id be able to hit turbo at least, I've bought a laptop cooler (under laptop fans) this hopefully will help in cooling and perhaps in hitting closer to 4.7GHz turbo

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've done further testing and I cannot hit the turbo of 4.7GHz, I've had to de-clock it to 4.3ghz, I'm very disappointed as this is a 8700K which should be overclock able but on attempting over 4.7ghz the system powers off completely when under load, suspect temp protection, i know its not a desktop, i just thought id be able to hit turbo at least, I've bought a laptop cooler (under laptop fans) this hopefully will help in cooling and perhaps in hitting closer to 4.7GHz turbo

If it's throttling at all in any way, then there's something wrong, that's not normal. As Oussebon says, I would return it, it's possible the paste isn't applied effectively enough or that the heatsink isn't sitting correctly.

gavbri

I've replaced the thermal paste with Arctic Sliver 5 on both GPU's and CPU, the heat sync is attached securely also, (tightened up in a cross pattern as normal)

To answer the next question all cores are de-clocked to 4.3Ghz, under default only core 1 was 4.7ghz core 2 4.6ghz core 3 4.5ghz and so on, but I now have all cores at 4.3 Ghz which under load it not thermal throttling (only tested for 2 mins)

Is this normal for my laptop?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I was saying that 4.7GHz is normal for 1 core, and 4.3 GHz is normal for 6 cores :)
coffeelakeboosts.png
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

gavbri

Ah I see, however as default it does throttle, now all cores are 4.3 ghz,

Should I dial back the voltage instead?

gavbri

I've seen on one video on YouTube where the bloke dropped the mV by 150/160 which helps temps a few degrees, he said in the video how its a defective BIOS version and needs a update, I've emailed Clevo to ask/enquire about a BIOS update as no updates have been released to date as far as i could see (I believe a modded BIOS is out their but this would break warranty I believe),

I'll try and dial back the voltage and see if that helps and ill let you know :D

gavbri

I've dropped the CPU 150 mV which fixed the throttling issue, so its running at stock (including turbo)

Capture.PNG

gavbri

I'll be doing a YouTube review in the next coming days, I'll make sure I talk about it, I'll do a dedicated video on how and why to do it.

If interested search Geordie Tech Channel in YouTube :D