Laptop for an ITPro / Developer is the UltraNote capable?

westerdaled

Hi

I would like to replace my current Gigabyte P35W laptop with a 15" machine for my work as an IT Pro / Developer. Anyway, one the issues is I am not a gammer ( yes I know very sad!) ,so I want a high spec machine but without the humongous graphics card and the other overspeced things I don't need. Now, I think the spec below is close to what I want, as all my money would go on things in the laptop I need but I do have a few concerns overall:

• Is the on board graphics card capable of rendering video if not I am stuck with it
  • Again is the onboard sound card like compared to the dedicated sound cards
  • is the keyboard good for touch typing - I did have a Vortex III which was like typing on a brick and also the keys were in weird places . That said, the display was amazing.
  • Power connector - does it stay in . The vortex power lead needed to be super glued to say in!

Chassis & Display
UltraNote: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 610/620/630 (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Hard Disk
500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY (9.5mm)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
AC Adaptor
1 x 65W AC Adaptor
Battery
UltraNote IV Series 44WH Lithium Ion Battery
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0
USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language
SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Why would you like to replace your P35W?

The i7 7700HQ is faster, but possibly not change-your-life faster. The SSD you're buying is a Sata SSD, which your existing laptop could handle (I expect). Are you sure the upgrade it worth it for you?

westerdaled

Why would you like to replace your P35W?

The i7 7700HQ is faster, but possibly not change-your-life faster. The SSD you're buying is a Sata SSD, which your existing laptop could handle (I expect). Are you sure the upgrade it worth it for you?

That is a fair question. Well this laptop is nearly 3 years old and it is showing signs of wear including short battery life and it not doesn't dissipate the heat as well. The fact the laptop has been so good is why I haven't been in a rush to replace it. Anyway, 3 years on I think why not. It's a chance to get UHD & IPS, 16 Gb+ DRAM 4 etc whilst only paying for the components I need such one or more SSDs. The UltraNote seems a pretty good replacement with the advertised spec. However, I wonder how it handles videos and music. Also, I am very fussy about keyboards.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I can't speak as to the keyboard - hopefully someone who has it can comment (I think I saw you already post in some owners' topics).

In terms of the SSD, if you have the budget I'd suggest you look at an NVMe M.2 SSD like the 960 Evo. Or the WD Black if that's too expensive. Might as well take advantage of that technology if upgrading to a new system :)

Stephen M

Author Level
You could save 10 quid by going for the standard Seagate 1TB HDD, the hybrid is not worth it when you have an SSD as well. There is only a small SSD cache on a hybrid and after that it is just a plain 5400rpm HDD, same as the cheaper one.

westerdaled

I can't speak as to the keyboard - hopefully someone who has it can comment (I think I saw you already post in some owners' topics).

In terms of the SSD, if you have the budget I'd suggest you look at an NVMe M.2 SSD like the 960 Evo. Or the WD Black if that's too expensive. Might as well take advantage of that technology if upgrading to a new system :)

Thanks for the comment. I will keep researching my options and various alternative suppliers.

westerdaled

You could save 10 quid by going for the standard Seagate 1TB HDD, the hybrid is not worth it when you have an SSD as well. There is only a small SSD cache on a hybrid and after that it is just a plain 5400rpm HDD, same as the cheaper one.
Thanks for letting me know.

westerdaled

Actually this machine ticks a lot of boxes given it's thin and light. I wonder if the screen is IPS as this is unclear.

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 120Hz LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Hard Disk
NOT REQUIRED
1[SUP]st[/SUP] M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3000MB/R, 1700MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 150W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0, vPRO
USB Options
3 x USB 3.1 Type A, 2 x USB 3.1 Type C AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language
RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The specs page does indeed say IPS

Some people a while ago complained the screen was TN and not very good. Given the info in the soecs tab isn't always 100 percent I'd check with PCS if it definitely is IPS now

westerdaled

I am afraid I struggling to believe this as there not obviously not promoting this attribute. Also with the UltraNote you get the IPS option, so why don't they do this here.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For a while it definitely was not IPS

It's possible PCS now use IPS and forgot to update part of the configurator - unfortunately it's not entirely unheard of

I reiterate my earlier advice to contact PCS and ask them instead of taking a wild guess