The game I've been waiting 30 years for.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
I had Battletech as a boy, though rarely anyone to play it with, and though there are have been various iterations, mostly RTS or FPS, this looks like being the real deal at last.

A proper turn based, rpg/strategy game in the Battletech Universe. It's had a whole kickstarter campaign that passed me by but that is now fixed. It's pre-ordered, my partner is forewarned and i am itching to get my mercenary crew into space and onto the battlefield.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/

I will post an update once it's up and running (if i can spare the time).

Last edited:

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Ok, I'm 25 hours in an absolutely loving this game. It's a proper turns based strategy game and is as close to the tabletop game as you're ever likely to get. Very happy to recommend and though some people have struggled with loading times and GPU load, i have had no trouble at all.

marwhi

Do you remember a game called Mech Warrior? We're talking old school, probably circa 1999. My Dad got me onto this and drove me CRAZY with his random ramblings about playing it. Might dig it out again!

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Mech warrior is available for free but you'll probably need to fiddle with a modern pc to make it run. There are guides on how to set it up. Battletech is based on the same original game but is truer to it's tabletop roots.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

I remember Mech Warrior the role-playing game from the very early 90s. Not only did it involve the Mech combat on the maps but all you'd role-play the whole story surrounding the campaign. Plus you could just be silly and mess about as it's just your mates round. I still have all the books and they might even be worth something now.

I like the immersive nature of computer games but the social aspect of getting together in person and interacting with each other has been lost. It's a strange thing to have to say on a forum about computers but computers have replaced friends.

Frank100

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Looks suspiciously like a spam posting to promote a proxy app

Last edited by a moderator:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Not really followed the game but this topic stuck in my mind. Just to say Battletech and a couple of its DLCs are in the Humble Monthly this month.

i.e. for around £8-10 - plus various other games included.