Is upgrading to 16GB of RAM really worth it?

adambye0

I've had my PC for almost a year now and I'm loving it (cheers PCS)! One of my favourite games is GTA V and I am able to run it on at least High across the board, constantly achieving a minimum of 80FPS and even when stuff goes mental (i.e: explosions), it never drops below 60.

But here's the thing. It stutters, a lot... It gets really annoying like, beyond belief. You're in the moment with an amaz- *freeze* -ing game, but it kee- *freeze* -ps freezing!

It's extremely annoying, but I heard that one of my mates upgraded from 8GB to 16GB and he did notice a difference. Issue is, I've seen that it really won't do much with modern optimisation and that 8GB is the sweet-spot for RAM now. Will it actually make any difference upgrading?

Many thanks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's highly unlikely to be the quantity of RAM that's the problem. There are plenty of things that could be causing your issues.

What's your full spec?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Do a web search on how to use the Windows Performance Monitor, it's a little involved and by default the data collector only runs for 60 seconds. You'll need to practice with it for a few times to get the hang of using it and configuring it to collect the data you want for the length of time you want but it's not difficult once you've played with it for a while.

Set up the Performance Monitor for run for five or ten minutes (that will result in a LOT of data so you need lots of hard disk space to store that) then start the data collector and then run your game until it stutters (hopefully whilst the data collector is still running!). When you view the report in Performance Monitor you'll be able to see clearly what all the resource utilisations actually were, that will give you a much better handle on what's causing the stuttering.