Network issue - Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

I got my computer a few days ago and almost every day since then, for a period of time I notice that the internet connection was really bad. At first, I thought to reset the modem should fix it and indeed it did. But then I found out that the problem doesn't seem to be in the internet provider but in the computer itself, everytime I get that yellow flag I have to trouble shoot and after a few seconds I get a solution for:

fixed: ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Does anyone know how to fix this permanently? I did some google searches, but I wanted to double check if doing things like setting the DNS to google is a safe thing to do.

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I got my computer a few days ago and almost every day since then, for a period of time I notice that the internet connection was really bad. At first, I thought to reset the modem should fix it and indeed it did. But then I found out that the problem doesn't seem to be in the internet provider but in the computer itself, everytime I get that yellow flag I have to trouble shoot and after a few seconds I get a solution for:

fixed: ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Does anyone know how to fix this permanently? I did some google searches, but I wanted to double check if doing things like setting the DNS to google is a safe thing to do.

Thanks!

If the NIC isn’t getting a valid IP that has nothing to do with DNS.

What are your full specs? Did you order with or without windows?

Are you connected via Ethernet directly to your router?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've heard of this being a problem with Windows fast boot (along with other issues that seem to be fast boot related). I would suggest that you try disabling fast boot in Windows. What fast boot does is to hibernate the kernel (and many settings) when you shutdown, on a restart the kernel (and settings) are restored, the idea being to make the boot process faster. The trouble is that this hibernate/resume does seem to cause some niggly issues.

To turn fast boot off (and assuming Windows 10) right click on the 'start' icon and select Power Options from the menu. Then click the 'Additional power settings' text menu item (on the right). In the window that opens click the 'Choose what the power buttons do' and in the Window that opens ensure that the 'Fast boot' checkbox is unchecked. Then shutdown (not restart) and do a normal power on.

You should also make sure that the IPv4 settings are set to use DHCP. Right click on the 'start' icon and select Run, in the run box enter the command 'ncpa.cpl' (without the quotes) and click OK. In the network connections window that opens right click on your Ethernet adapter and select Properties from the drop-down menu. Click on the 'Internet Protocol Version 4' entry to highlight it (be careful to leave the checkbox checked) and then click the Properties button. Ensure that both entries there have the 'obtain address automatically' radio button selected.

My bet is that this is fast boot....

If the NIC isn’t getting a valid IP that has nothing to do with DNS.

What are your full specs? Did you order with or without windows?

Are you connected via Ethernet directly to your router?

The specs are:
Case
InWIN 101 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
1TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB WD Black™ M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2050MB/s R | 800MB/s W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm using a wifi router, but my computer is the only one with this problem. I have tried a number of different things so far such as checking if IPV4 was properly set, turning off windows fast boot, reinstalling the network driver, using "netsh winsock reset", but none of them fixed it.

I can reproduce it almost everytime I reset the computer.

I'll try some other tutorials today, maybe ipconfig flush or disabling IPV6

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It’s more than likely a driver issue. An ip config flush just clears the dns cache, doesn’t have any effect on ip assignment.

I would go to the manufacturers website, download the latest network driver, then delete the current driver including related software.

Then reboot, and install the manufacturers driver.

Also, what version of windows 10 are you on? This was a common issue in earlier builds.