Static noise issue from front panel audio jack!

Jessw56

Just got my tower, arrived yesterday, everything so far so good. Although I noticed last night
that when i plug the headphones into the front panel of the tower (Fractal Define S Case), there is a
really annoying buzzing and static noise (with or without sound coming from the computer) in the
headphones but doesnt happen when i plug it into the back only the front.

Im slightly nervous about taking the whole front panel off with wires for IO still attached, seems like a bit of a tricky case to check the
front wiring. Should i check the sound connector on the motherboard as well? First timer custom pc owner, so really have no idea what im doing.

I bought a ground loop isolator last night (which will be delivered this week) in the hope that it might take away the static noise from the port, can anyone lend any advice if they have come across similar issues?

Thanks a lot.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You shouldn't need one to eliminate the static in that there shouldn't be any, assuming the cable and headphones are themselves fine ofc. If the isolator does work I would not consider the problem resolved.

Worth seeing if you can follow the cable from the motherboard as far as you can see it to check if it's resting against other components or see if it's bent at any really sharp angles/trapped somewhere.

Check the audio port as well in case there's something in there. A bit of dust, maybe some packaging or something.

The front panel of the case is separate to the bit that has the audio jacks and USB ports: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Fractal_Design/Define_S/3.html (unlike my R4 where if you take the front panel off, you find it's locked in place by cables at the top...) so you could gently take that off to get a better view of the cables if required.