Upgrading PC case fans also AIO fans

charlieb90

Bronze Level Poster
Hi i don't know if someone can help me please . I wanted to upgrade my PC case fans and my AIO cooler fans. I'm new to pc gaming just needed some advice much appreciated.

CASE : NZXT NOCTIS 450MID TOWER
COOLER :CORSAIR H100I V2
CPU : i7-7700k overclocked 4.8GHZ
MB :ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
RAM: 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHZ
GPU :GTX 1080TI
PS : CORSAIR 850W RMX SERIES MODULAR 80PLUS GOLD ULTRA QUIET

jerpers

Master
For the case fans you want fans with good air flow. For the cooler you want ones with high static pressure to force air through the fins.

If you want to shell out and get the best fans without worrying about looks, Noctua make some of the best. The NF F12's are best for the rad as they have increased static pressure. The brown look (although some of their range now come in black) is not to everyone's taste.

I do quite like Corsairs range of fans. I have the Quiet range SP fans for my rads and they are quiet and still push plenty of air through, particularly in push/pull. This did require an additional screw set to be purchased. Their ML and LL range look great if you want RGB too but again start to get a bit pricey.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For the case fans you want fans with good air flow. For the cooler you want ones with high static pressure to force air through the fins.

If you want to shell out and get the best fans without worrying about looks, Noctua make some of the best. The NF F12's are best for the rad as they have increased static pressure. The brown look (although some of their range now come in black) is not to everyone's taste.

I do quite like Corsairs range of fans. I have the Quiet range SP fans for my rads and they are quiet and still push plenty of air through, particularly in push/pull. This did require an additional screw set to be purchased. Their ML and LL range look great if you want RGB too but again start to get a bit pricey.

I would plus one for the corsair range of fans, they're superb. Especially the RGB ones!

Noctua are the best, but their colour choice is abysmal unless they've changed it in the last couple of years, but for sheer performance, they're no doubt the best.

charlieb90

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the advice i was looking at getting the ML series fans from corsair could i use them for the AIO cooler aswell as the case ?
Plus i love the RGB i'm going for a all red theme. The only reason i'm asking this i got told this in another forum telling me about the ML series read bellow.

Typically, there are two types of fans. Static Pressure and Air Flow. Static Pressure fans are usually best for CPU air coolers and radiators because they focus the air through the fins of the cooler or radiator. So for your AIO, you will want to put static pressure fans on the rad. Air flow fans are better for case fans to increase maximum airflow in the case.

I am a big fan of the corsair ml pro fans. They makes LED and non LED versions and they are both static pressure and air flow in one fan. So you cant go wrong with where you put them. But they are not cheap. Noctua and Be Quite! both make excellent fans as well. You cannot go wrong with any of those brands.

In the end, you get what you pay for when it comes to fans. Cheap fans are very lout, and expensive fans are quite. So if you are concerned with noise, don't skimp out and get the cheap fans.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the advice i was looking at getting the ML series fans from corsair could i use them for the AIO cooler aswell as the case ?
Plus i love the RGB i'm going for a all red theme. The only reason i'm asking this i got told this in another forum telling me about the ML series read bellow.

Typically, there are two types of fans. Static Pressure and Air Flow. Static Pressure fans are usually best for CPU air coolers and radiators because they focus the air through the fins of the cooler or radiator. So for your AIO, you will want to put static pressure fans on the rad. Air flow fans are better for case fans to increase maximum airflow in the case.

I am a big fan of the corsair ml pro fans. They makes LED and non LED versions and they are both static pressure and air flow in one fan. So you cant go wrong with where you put them. But they are not cheap. Noctua and Be Quite! both make excellent fans as well. You cannot go wrong with any of those brands.

In the end, you get what you pay for when it comes to fans. Cheap fans are very lout, and expensive fans are quite. So if you are concerned with noise, don't skimp out and get the cheap fans.

I would agree with all of that. The ML range stand for "Magnetic Levitation" and it's gonna be the standard as soon as everyone else catches on. It means zero friction, much higher air flow and good static pressure. They are expensive but well worth it imho.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-ml-magnetic-levitation-fan-review,1.html

charlieb90

Bronze Level Poster
That's great i finally know what fans i'm gonna buy now. Also thanks for the link about the fans gave me a good understanding .
Sorry for all the questions i just have no clue about PC'S trying to learn from the best . I was gonna buy 5x 120mm ML fans and 1x 140m ML . I know ill have control on the corsair link 4 program to control 2x120mm fans for the AIO cooler
is there any other program i can use to control the rest of the PC case fans ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's great i finally know what fans i'm gonna buy now. Also thanks for the link about the fans gave me a good understanding .
Sorry for all the questions i just have no clue about PC'S trying to learn from the best . I was gonna buy 5x 120mm ML fans and 1x 140m ML . I know ill have control on the corsair link 4 program to control 2x120mm fans for the AIO cooler
is there any other program i can use to control the rest of the PC case fans ?

Are you looking at having control over the fan speed as well as the RGB? If so, you need the PWM version which will either allow the motherboard fan header to auto adjust the fan speeds (as in for your AIO). Then for the RGB, you need a lighting controller which you plug the fans into which gives overall control over the RGB from the corsair software.

Scan are currently doing a fantastic deal for 3 x 120 ML Pro fans including a lighting controller which gives space for 6 fans, so then you could buy a dual pack on top for the added 2:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120...-rgb-magnetic-lev-triple-fan-pack-with-lighti

EDIT: Hell, you've just inspired me to do the same! it's a really good deal!

Further edit: I believe you will need 2 x SATA power connectors for the lighting controller power, 1 x USB 2 header on the motherboard for the lighting controller to talk to the software, then each fan has a PWM header output which goes on the board and a separate RGB header which runs to the lighting controller.

Last edited:

charlieb90

Bronze Level Poster
That's a great deal i don't think ill go for the RGB one's gonna go for the all red . I wanted to get control on the fan speed for the case without going into the BIOS.
I know ill have control for the 2x fans for the AIO cooler where i use corsair link 4 . If i'm just going for all red will i need all the other extra cables ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's a great deal i don't think ill go for the RGB one's gonna go for the all red . I wanted to get control on the fan speed for the case without going into the BIOS.
I know ill have control for the 2x fans for the AIO cooler where i use corsair link 4 . If i'm just going for all red will i need all the other extra cables ?

No, you won't and you won't need the lighting controller either, that's a whole different setup.
So yeah, you'll need PWM compatible fans for the AIO, then you could get away with standard fans for the case fans.

charlieb90

Bronze Level Poster
Sweet sounds even easier then cheers so i'm just gonna order 6x ML pro fans job done. when i look at corsair ML TECH SPECS it does say its PWM but not CORSAIR LINK compatibility. Will that not work for the aio cooler for corsair link 4?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sweet sounds even easier then cheers so i'm just gonna order 6x ML pro fans job done. when i look at corsair ML TECH SPECS it does say its PWM but not CORSAIR LINK compatibility. Will that not work for the aio cooler for corsair link 4?

The PWM is controlled by the motherboard, it's automatically adjusted based on temps etc.
I think you can manually set a fan profile, but it's not really recommended vs PWM.

charlieb90

Bronze Level Poster
I wanted to try and get my temps down on my CPU . But manly for a red theme to go with my case as i do like the ML corsair fans.