new 2018 Recoil II

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
They seem fine, the fans do kick in and get a little loud when needed and there is also a fan booster button. No signs of over heating so far.

Mines arrived, typing on it now. Not overly impressed with the temps at idle. I've undervolted but shouldn't be hearing fans loudly when browsing. 60 degrees for cpu at idle

Consider removing the game center. Its not the browser that is causing the load on your laptop, it is the preinstalled game center. It seems to be an incredible heavy program for the laptop. I thought I also had 60C idle temperatures, but after removing the game center app the laptop finally got to rest, having idle temps of 35C. That program is also not necessary, fans are still reacting to more load.

strawberrydoll

PCS are now offering the Recoil II with a 144Hz screen for around £100 more, but only via pre-order and it doesn't say when it'll ship. Very interested in this model so hopefully we get a release date soon.

pabgar

I am also considering buying this laptop but I really want the 144Hz screen and apparently it won't be available until July... Major letdown.
I am also concerned that if I order it now in the meantime it might get some new option I might want like that extra battery people are talking about.

If it's any help, I saw that a German outlet won't be selling the model with a battery upgrade - trtrtr.jpg

No idea what PCS will do, but this company seems doubtful that any EU countries would be offering it.

damole

Silver Level Poster
Lots of interesting info in this thread on NBR. Not all positive but I am waiting to see how things develop once more people have them and report back.

Last edited:

damole

Silver Level Poster
On that thread people are saying the 150W adapter is not enough and it needs 180W. The Optimus IX comes with a choice of PSU, maybe this one should too.

mantiyeah

Maybe it is possible to send them an email to ship it with the 180 w?
Pricewise it should be the same.

I am doubting between this model and the defience V with the 1070.
Recoil 2 doesn't have an hdmi port. Any way to connect it to a external screen? 15.6 may be too small for me for playing at my main home

Last edited:

david32knyte

I've just received a recoil 2. 32GB RAM / GTX1060 / M2
Really quite a nice piece of kit. Nice & light and small for 15.6". Bought for rendering in Vray modelling in Rhino 6. Not gaming. But use VR for walk through.

BUT 2 SERIOUS OBSERVATIONS

Keyboard is, has been mentioned, a bit pants. clicky, cheap and cramped. Finding it hard to type effectively.

Battery. Also pants. 47WH. My Lenovo t440p has 100WH and that's not great!
However I am currently using it for some spreadsheet stuff as a test with CPU on power saver and discreet GPU in Off mode. Also power saver battery.
With all these power save modes selected. Been using it on and off for 3.5 hrs and still 46% left. So might be that if want to game or use the GPU etc then forget about using it on battery. For normal browsing, emails office stuff, then might be OK. Imagine watching movie nails the battery, will look at that later.

Hate to say this, but this might have to go back, primarily cos I can't type properly on it. Also battery is a consideration.

Razer 15 comes in at £1699 BUT with only 256 storage & 16GB only. better battery & keyboard IMO.. Might be worth the extra £140 or so.??

Recoil 2 is a REALLY REALLY tasty laptop, don't get me wrong but if you're dropping £1540 you want it to be useable and not wind you up when you're trying to type, so I'm a bit hacked off TBH.
Having said that, the price point for Recoil 2 is obviously v good so there might be you have to accept some compromise?? After all a MSI GS65VRE is £2380 or similar

I've just received a recoil 2. 32GB RAM / GTX1060 / M2
Really quite a nice piece of kit. Nice & light and small for 15.6". Bought for rendering in Vray modelling in Rhino 6. Not gaming. But use VR for walk through.

BUT 2 SERIOUS OBSERVATIONS

Keyboard is, has been mentioned, a bit pants. clicky, cheap and cramped. Finding it hard to type effectively.

Battery. Also pants. 47WH. My Lenovo t440p has 100WH and that's not great!
However I am currently using it for some spreadsheet stuff as a test with CPU on power saver and discreet GPU in Off mode. Also power saver battery.
With all these power save modes selected. Been using it on and off for 3.5 hrs and still 46% left. So might be that if want to game or use the GPU etc then forget about using it on battery. For normal browsing, emails office stuff, then might be OK. Imagine watching movie nails the battery, will look at that later.

Hate to say this, but this might have to go back, primarily cos I can't type properly on it. Also battery is a consideration.

Razer 15 comes in at £1699 BUT with only 256 storage & 16GB only. better battery & keyboard IMO.. Might be worth the extra £140 or so.??

Recoil 2 is a REALLY REALLY tasty laptop, don't get me wrong but if you're dropping £1540 you want it to be useable and not wind you up when you're trying to type, so I'm a bit hacked off TBH.
Having said that, the price point for Recoil 2 is obviously v good so there might be you have to accept some compromise?? After all a MSI GS65VRE is £2380 or similar

The keyboard issue has been what's put me off getting it too. The new Asus Hero II model comes out soon, and despite it's OTT gamery look it does have the bezzless design, a much better keyboard (by the looks of things at least) and promises really great screen for content creation...in addition it MAY be cheaper. I have my fingers crossed that it is.

Last edited:

david32knyte

Hi Damole
I checked the video. Not sure I would characterise the reviewers opinion on the keyboard as 'OK'.
Describes it as a 'Potential deal breaker for some'. Cheap & mushy, he says.

Also he describes the keyboard as 'Faux mechanical'. With scissor style mech but mechanical style action.
Not sure TBH what that means. Either the keyboard is mechanical or not. Perhaps it is the same as a normal keyboard but with built in click sound.
I quite like the click sound.

Suspect if you are into gaming then will not be problem. Writing a novel, maybe not.

damole

Silver Level Poster
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean his opinion, if you read the thread at NBR you will read different opinions.

I'm a part time gamer and have a gaming desktop in my main place of residence and when I do use my laptop it's with an external keyboard and monitor so I guess the keyboard is less important for me.

Last edited:

damole

Silver Level Poster
More talk on the NBR thraead about the keyboard.

One thing that does need to happen is PCS needs to release the updated BIOS and some research needs to be done into the performance difference between a 150W and 180W adapter. I just read review of the new Razer 15 with same CPU/GPU combo that has a 230W adapter.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have to use lots of different keyboards with work - different laptops, servers etc. Then there's my own and my wife's laptops.

It can take a little while to adapt to a keyboard but once you do the pain goes away.

That said, there are some that I just don't ever seem to be able to quite get the hang of.

And as I mentioned before, that clicking...not in open plan offices any time soon :)