Lafite-111 working brilliantly.

ajgreeny

My wife's new Lafite-111 arrived late this afternoon; what a superb looking laptop!
Here's the spec I put together for her; nothing very resource hungry will be used on it, but speed will be important for all that it's used for and I decided that an SSD would be the best way to get a fast machine, even though the CPU is not the fastest available in the Lafite-111.

Chassis & Display Lafité Series: Aluminium Chassis: 13.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x 1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor 4415U (2 x 2.30GHz) 2MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 610/620/630 (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB WD Black™ M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2050MB/s R | 700MB/s W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 1 x Lafité Series 40W AC Adaptor
Battery Lafité Series 3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (36WH)
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language LAFITÉ SERIES SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Of course, looks aren't everything, and it's what you can do with it that counts.
This is the third machine I have purchased from PCS for myself and my wife, and either this was the easiest to install Linux on or I have got quicker and better at doing so.
In about 10 minutes from pressing the power button I had Xubuntu 18.04 running like a dream, with all the hardware detected and working, and it's fast!
The OS is an the SSD and /home is on the HDD along with a small swap partition; I was still not quite sure about swap file being on the SSD so for safety, even if it's not necessary, decided to put swap on the HDD; I suspect it will never be used but 2GB is worth it in my opinion.

fantastic service from PCS who got the laptop to us only 4 days after ordering it late on Sunday evening.
Thanks PCS; this is the way to keep my custom next time I need another computer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My wife's new Lafite-111 arrived late this afternoon; what a superb looking laptop!
Here's the spec I put together for her; nothing very resource hungry will be used on it, but speed will be important for all that it's used for and I decided that an SSD would be the best way to get a fast machine, even though the CPU is not the fastest available in the Lafite-111.

Chassis & Display Lafité Series: Aluminium Chassis: 13.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x 1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor 4415U (2 x 2.30GHz) 2MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 610/620/630 (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB WD Black™ M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2050MB/s R | 700MB/s W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 1 x Lafité Series 40W AC Adaptor
Battery Lafité Series 3 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (36WH)
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language LAFITÉ SERIES SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Of course, looks aren't everything, and it's what you can do with it that counts.
This is the third machine I have purchased from PCS for myself and my wife, and either this was the easiest to install Linux on or I have got quicker and better at doing so.
In about 10 minutes from pressing the power button I had Xubuntu 18.04 running like a dream, with all the hardware detected and working, and it's fast!
The OS is an the SSD and /home is on the HDD along with a small swap partition; I was still not quite sure about swap file being on the SSD so for safety, even if it's not necessary, decided to put swap on the HDD; I suspect it will never be used but 2GB is worth it in my opinion.

fantastic service from PCS who got the laptop to us only 4 days after ordering it late on Sunday evening.
Thanks PCS; this is the way to keep my custom next time I need another computer.

Thanks for feeding back, and nice to know it's playing nice with Xubuntu, should help others.

ajgreeny

Thanks for the review. Just one question: what's the battery life like when running Linux?

I'm not sure yet as I don't use that machine myself, except for installing the OS but it seems to be running for a few hours without too many problems and my wife does often play online flash games such as Bloons 5 which use a lot of cpu and power.