On installing the Windows 10 April 2018 update (1803)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've installed the 1803 update on two computers now, a PCS laptop and a PCS desktop. I had an issue on the desktop so I'm posting the details and resolution on here in case it helps someone else.

My laptop runs Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 8 with a product key. On running the install I was asked which version of Windows 10 to install and asked for the product key (which I skipped because Windows 10 has already been activated on this laptop). I connected via WiFi when asked and the install of Windows 10 Pro 1803 was painless, though the network setup phase took a long time (I suspect because drivers were being installed at this time). I elected to use an offline login rather than a Microsoft id (because I always do that). On running Windows Update immediately afterwards the only updates found were a definition file update for Defender and a security update for Defender.

My desktop runs Windows 10 Home OEM, bought with the PC and with a digital license. On running the install I was not asked which version to install nor was I asked for a product key, this is because of the digital license I imagine. The installation of Windows 10 Home 1803, whilst Ethernet attached to my router, was painless. On running Windows Update immediately afterwards many updates were found, most of them driver updates. During the install of these updates I suddenly saw the message 'Some settings are managed by your organisation or administrator' message, on investigation the affected settings were active hours and I was apparently signed up as a Windows insider. None of the 'standard' resolutions to this (not uncommon) message worked. I also used an offline login rather than a Microsoft id on this PC too.

I did a reinstall (still connected via Ethernet) and accepted all the Microsoft defaults in case these were the issue, but saw the same 'Some settings are managed by your organisation or administrator' message. Again, none of the 'standard' resolutions worked.

My third reinstall (still connected via Ethernet) was done accepting all the Microsoft defaults and using my Microsoft id for the login. I saw the same 'Some settings are managed by your organisation or administrator' message. Again, none of the 'standard' resolutions worked.

My final reinstall was done with my network cable unplugged and with all the latest drivers already downloaded from the Asus website (I have a Z170-P). The install was normal, I did not elect to connect via WiFi when asked, and I installed all drivers manually before connecting to the Internet. When I plugged in the Ethernet cable and ran Windows update the only updates found were a definition file update for Defender and a security update for Defender. I did not get (and still haven't had) the 'Some settings are managed by your organisation or administrator' message and all is working well.

My guess is that one of the updates done (possibly a driver update) screws with some of the telemetry settings and this causes the 'Some settings are managed by your organisation or administrator' message. If anyone runs into this problem I'd advise installing without being Internet connected and do your own driver installs before connecting. I'm sure that whatever this issue is will be resolved soon and it's not really a showstopper even if you live with it.

:)