17.3" DEFIANCE V - They could have done better...

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You won't be able to upgrade the CPU in your Defiance as it's soldered on. If that's what you meant versus the clevo chassis lineup being upgraded :)

fabcas

Yeah, I mean if the new CPUS would have a compatible socket with the current i7-8750H....
EDITED:
Just checked... :(

i8-i9_Comparison.JPG

probably I misunderstood with the motherboard series compatibility

Last edited:
As said on the other thread, I'll post a brief review soon. I have investigated about the temps, so far with the new Bios, during the last session of World of Tanks (mostly using the first cores), I managed to stay within 85 °C peaks with the CPU. Aluminum Chassis gest hot on the top left corner but no burn hand issues so far, keyboard fully playable.
I was wondering about a possible future upgrade with the new 9th generation CPUS, those will feature a layer of solder making up the TIM between the die and the IHS, instead of the cheaper thermal interface comprised of a paste with lower thermal conduction. Let's see

Ok, my friend, will wait for that review.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Yeah, I mean if the new CPUS would have a compatible socket with the current i7-8750H....
EDITED:
Just checked... :(

View attachment 12175

probably I misunderstood with the motherboard series compatibility

So the CPUs you're comparing there are different sockets - because the 8750H is a mobile CPU, and the 9600k is a desktop CPU. There are a few laptops that support desktop CPUs (the Octane and Vortex by PCS for example). The desktop CPUs including those in the Octane and Vortex use PGA (Pin Grid Array) while laptop ones use BGA (Ball Grid Array).

With a PGA CPU like in any home desktop you can just pop the thing out and slot in a new one with your bare hands if you wish.

BGA CPUs are soldered directly onto the mobo and can't be removed easily, making them difficult or impossible to upgrade.

Moreover, any motherboard would almost certainly need a BIOS update to support a new gen of CPU.

So:
1) You're comparing the wrong CPUs
2) even if the new 9th Gen mobile CPUs, whenever they appear, have a soldered IHS, and have the same socket, actually removing the old CPU and installing the new one is not something most people could do at home anyway.

Last edited:

Syl

Even if the CPU temp is fixed through bios, the fans are still extremely noisy. CPU at 45°, fan at 2800 RPM.
Compared to a MSI GE72MVR 7RG-071 (i7 7700HQ), fan at 2400 RPM, I nearly don't hear it.

I have both laptop next to each other, and the Defiance isn't discret at all, I can't hear the MSI.

And that's when I'm doing nothing...

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Although the Defiance does have the 8th Gen CPU, which seems to be even more problematic for temps than the 7700HQ - at least in certain chassis.

I don't dispute for a moment that some other chassis will handle cooling of the 8th Gen chips better, or be less prone to the kinds of issues a number of people have reported about the Defiance. Just saying it's not necessarily a straight comparison.

Perhaps the fan profile on the Defiance is overly aggressive because of the heat from 8th Gen CPUs - hence the high fan speed with 45 degree idle temp.

Syl

Yeah, I tried a custom config, but I can't lower the first point, and it's at 38% at 40°, then I set 60% at 60°, and finally 76% at 80°.
I'll try to lower the second point a bit more. What is a decent temperature while idling on this CPU?

Do we know the size of the fan?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
No idea though you can take the back panel off and look I suppose, or look up the clevo chassis model online. It won't just be thew size of the fan but the arrangement of the heatpipes, airflow, and whatever else. If the design there is sub optimal it could leave the fan working harder to try to get rid of the heat I guess.

A decent temp while idling is subjective. 45 seems good to me, but if the temp were 50 or 60 I'm not sure that's actually problem either if one prefers less noise.