Taking liquid series PC on a long flight.

hanjon

Please any advice on how I can safely ship my first liquid cooled PC to my home country which is a 7 hour flight away?

jerpers

Master
That is not ideal. Is this something you have already purchased? If buying, does PCS not ship to your country?

If you already have it and are taking it, You would need to drain all fluid from it and try and get some expanding packaging to support the internals. Then the whole thing in the original PCS box which has plenty of nice foam support.

hanjon

That is not ideal. Is this something you have already purchased? If buying, does PCS not ship to your country?

If you already have it and are taking it, You would need to drain all fluid from it and try and get some expanding packaging to support the internals. Then the whole thing in the original PCS box which has plenty of nice foam support.

Thank you. I have not ordered it yet, but have the configurations saved for now. Unfortunately, PCS does not ship to my country. I'm also new to liquid cooling and have not handled any liquid cooled PC before. Does that mean I should just stick with adding more fans and heatsinks to an air cooled rig? Or any other advice?
Thanks again.

jerpers

Master
If PCS is your best value option to then transport back to your home country I would definitely go for an air cooled system. However, if you have any difficulties with it, warranty repairs etc will be difficult.

For your first foray into liquid cooling, it would be best to have something where you can get support if needed plus as I said before you would have to drain and refill your system for transport which although is not entirely difficult, is a big jump for someone not used to it.

Something like the Noctua cooler is excellent however the heatsink on this and other aircoolers is quite large which you must consider for transport. PCS ship with an air bag to support it which might be an idea to leave in for you to ship however you cannot then turn on the system to check it.

Depending on the case and setup, more fans would help improve airflow.

You can post your planned specs and budget for more advice although it for warranty purposes, it may well be best to purchase in your home country.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm not an expert on this (but many others on here are) but if you're not overclocking you probably don't need liquid cooling. I have a big Noctua air cooler (and I live on Crete where it gets hot in the summer) and the Noctua doesn't even break sweat. I would advise against liquid cooling unless you are sure that you need it.

hanjon

Thanks a lot. I think I'll stick with the air cooling options. Like this one:

Case
COOLERMASTER K350 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready! ()
1st Hard Disk
1TB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

hanjon

Thanks a lot. To be honest, I'm not sure if I really need liquid cooling. I just want a combination of performance and efficient heat and noise moderation. I'm into 3d modeling and animation for movies and other related stuff.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
combination of performance and efficient heat and noise moderation
If you want to mitigate noise, go for the Fractal Define S case. It will be better for noise and also for cooling than a cheap CM K350. The Fractal case will fit the Noctua.

For the SSD, check out the PM961 SSD from the M.2 SSD Drive menu. It is a lot faster than the WD Blue and probably not much more expensive.

For the RAM I suggest 2x8gb 3000MHz for additional performance and expansion options.

hanjon

If you want to mitigate noise, go for the Fractal Define S case. It will be better for noise and also for cooling than a cheap CM K350. The Fractal case will fit the Noctua.

For the SSD, check out the PM961 SSD from the M.2 SSD Drive menu. It is a lot faster than the WD Blue and probably not much more expensive.

For the RAM I suggest 2x8gb 3000MHz for additional performance and expansion options.

Wow, this is very helpful. Will do that. Thank you very much