I7 8700K Question about Overclocking

cristyy95

Hello , if i buy an i7 8700k NON OC , can i overclock it later ? what if i buy it like OC whats the difference , i dont know wich one of them to choose , i just started to build my rig .

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello , if i buy an i7 8700k NON OC , can i overclock it later ? what if i buy it like OC whats the difference , i dont know wich one of them to choose , i just started to build my rig .

If you buy with an overclock, PCS apply the overclock and it's covered under their warranty.

If you buy an 8700k without an overclock, you're free to overclock yourself if you know what you're doing, but it won't be covered by warranty if anything goes wrong.

It's only like £9 difference to buy with an OC so well worth doing for the peace of mind.

cristyy95

Thank you ! Now i know the difference , I guess it would be recommended to buy the OC version anyway i wouldnt have a problem with a water cooling system like H110i + fans ?

jerpers

Master
That would depend on the size of the case. I have the H100i and have had no problems at all. I would however recommend going for the version with the PCS quiet fans as the stock ones are quite loud

cristyy95

CoolerMaster Cosmos

That would depend on the size of the case. I have the H100i and have had no problems at all. I would however recommend going for the version with the PCS quiet fans as the stock ones are quite loud

I selected CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P wich is big enough , im just afraid of the OC Cpu it wont fry/die at some point in the future , because of the overclocking , i dont want to spend alot of money on something with short life-span. I mean , i want to hold this Rig how it is at least 4-5 yrs , without investing extra money in it as it is expensive enough . Mostly i ll use it for gaming 90% of the time.

jerpers

Master
I had an overclocked AMD from PCS that lasted over 5 years. The CPU is still fine and working hapily in a friends PC. My current PCS overclocked PC I have had for nearly 3 years and temps are under 50C so I am not worried at all.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I've had this CPU OCed by PCS since.. 2013 I think? at 4.6GHz up from 3.9GHz max boost clocks. It still seems fine.

PCS's overclocks are actually quite tame. Enough that you can get some benefit for things that care about CPU performance, but not so much that what they apply is unrealistic for many chips to achieve. They're not pushing to 5GHz or trying to go beyond.