Nvidia GTX 1180 Founders Edition looks set to rock PCs in July

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apparently Nvidia are going to be releasing a range separate for miners to keep the gaming cards from being nicked

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yes I read something similar, and I think certain Mining systems have been developed and built that are much more efficient too.

If you look on Ebay, it's flooded with second hand GPU's. One seller I looked at was selling 6 MSI GTX1060's. They were hardly used though... apparently.

It will be interesting to see what camp AMD following NV's new gpu's coming out. I quite fancied a Vega 64, would like to support the underdog. And their CPU's look well priced.
However, the cheapest VEGA 64 I could find was £650, (MSRP is £550 I think). And Vega 64 has less performance power than an 1080TI, but more heat and power output so I changed my mind.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The article seems to be mostly a summary of what was recently on Tom's Hardware de and also taking bits from WCCFTech which.. heh.. is not known for the most reliable of journalism.

But if the 1180 or 1170 are anything like that I might finally jump from my AOC i2352vh with the blown out speakers to 4k gsync. Although I would quite like to see what HDMI 2.1 brings in terms of GPU-agnostic variable refresh...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Will the release of these new GPUs affect the prices of the current ones (1050, 1060, etc)?

Prices are already dropping, GTX 1070 ti's are going for around 400 now. AMD VEGA 64's for 550. - a drop of 100.00 in the last week.
I haven't noticed a drop in 1080 ti pricing though.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I've seen this. It's also possible Nvidia want to sell off their 1080 tis etc at the highest prices they can and don't want people to hold off buying a GPU until Aug.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've seen this. It's also possible Nvidia want to sell off their 1080 tis etc at the highest prices they can and don't want people to hold off buying a GPU until Aug.

I was thinking the exact same thing... they will want to sell off their existing stock at the highest possible prices.

Im betting they release them around autumn time. Ready for christmas. by then they will have probably cleared out most of the Gtx 1000 series cards

Last edited:

steaky360

Surely Nvidia only care about the 'founders' edition style cards that they manufacture? Rather than the third party manufactured boards? That said, I'd imagine there are far fewer 'Nvidia' manufactured boards than say EVGA or ASUS, etc.

Do they still manufacture older generation cards after the new generation comes out? I mean you can still buy older gen cards, but obviously that could just be old stock.

Genuine question, asking for a friend ;), does anyone know?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Surely Nvidia only care about the 'founders' edition style cards that they manufacture? Rather than the third party manufactured boards? That said, I'd imagine there are far fewer 'Nvidia' manufactured boards than say EVGA or ASUS, etc.

Do they still manufacture older generation cards after the new generation comes out? I mean you can still buy older gen cards, but obviously that could just be old stock.

Genuine question, asking for a friend ;), does anyone know?

I doubt that nVidia will still manufacturer old cards once they run down on components (or their manufacturing partner does). I would expect that third party OEMs will usually continue though, as they'll want to reap as much back on their licensing costs as possible and there's always a market for N-1 technology for those who either don't like the risks of instability that often comes with cutting-edge or those who simply can't afford or don't want to pay out for the latest and greatest.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Nvidia will still probably keep going with older cards for a while. It was a while before the 1050 /ti were released and longer still until the 1030 came out. The older GPUs seem to fill out the lineup for the period where only the new xx80 and then xx70 are out. They'll probably stop with the 1080 tis and maybe 1080s, but if an 1170 is indeed about as powerful as the 1080 ti (in line with the last 2 generational jumps, as well as rumours) then there will still be a place even for the GTX 1080, certainly the 1070.

It's a bit hazy but iirc Nvidia only coughed up the 1060 when AMD were releasing the RX480. They were in no rush.

For those hoping for the old gen to drop in price sharply, they are probably out of luck. When Pascal came out, the GTX 970 held its price fairly well, and even when the GTX 1060 came out as a more or less direct replacement, the lowest the 970 seemed to get to was about £200 at best, down from ~£250. And for that kind of difference there was little point buying one versus a 1060 with its extra performance and VRAM.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I expect the GPUs will have higher MSRP than Pascal, since the 1170 would be around 1080 ti level performance, the 1180 much more powerful, and there's basically no competition in that space.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I expect the GPUs will have higher MSRP than Pascal, since the 1170 would be around 1080 ti level performance, the 1180 much more powerful, and there's basically no competition in that space.

Agreed, usually though they just introduce the next gen at the same (or thereabouts) of the last gen xx80. To keep bumping the intro price is gonna annoy a lot of people. I guess like you say, when there’s no competition they can do what they want... come on AMD, beef it up a bit!

At launch, that 4k 120-144hz gaming setup costs?
Says the GPU around $1500 for an 1180 and a 4k 120/144hz around $1000+?

A $3000 build at least?