Nvidia GTX 1180 Founders Edition looks set to rock PCs in July

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ouch that is an awful lot of money! Im sure they will also do a 1180 Ti version too.

Im hoping AMD come out with some more VEGA cards to offer a cheaper alternative.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Prices of the Ti cards are still £100 over what they should be. If they come down I would purchase one and not lose sleep, if they don't come down by the time we hit July I won't bother though.

sainahZ

With this new series do you think it will double the price after the release "couple of months"? I'm considering upgrading but I'm thinking if I'll wait for a couple of months the price might get higher due to mining.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think it unlikely the prices of the new GPUs will skyrocket due to mining given the recent trends.

polycrac

Rising Star
They're basing this on WCCFTech :/

And techradar's suggestion that adding 2gb VRAM to a GTX 1060 would "improve performance considerably" ... wut.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/69tk16/wccftech_im_a_fan/

I used to like Techradar and for reviews of things like screens and phones I'd still look at what they have to say, but less so for CPUs and GPUs these days.

Where can I look for better sources? I know wccftech isn't well thought of. I (naively) though if a more reputable site like techradar was carrying it too, there might be more to it. I also look at Cnet sometimes, and rock, paper, shotgun for games news. Happy to find new places to read!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think techradar were just being lazy there.

Videocardz is probably my go-to rumour filter. Techradar, hexus, expertreviews (for reviews), those kinds of sites are a bit magaziney but easy to digest.

Techspot, techpowerup, PCgamer (for hardware / game tests more than rumours), 3dguru (some people dislike this one I think), bit-tech, kitguru (I don't use KG much as I don't enjoy Leo Waldock)

Quite a lot of sites will supplement their content with press releases. Hexus is almost all press releases reworded by Mark Tyson. Sites need content and clicks so they need to find content to keep churning out.

Gamersnexus, Hardwarecanucks, computerbase.de, sweclockers have some very good stuff. GN often puts out content as both video and written articles for the same piece so you get a choice of how to consume it. And watching Steve get annoyed with companies sabotaging themselves is pretty funny.

Anandtech and HOCP can be very, very detailed in tech analysis.

Plenty more too.

I tend to avoid cnet, pcworld.com, and ukpcmag as I don't like the content, and I got used to the ads killing my PC before using adblockers. And WCCFtech for the theft, lies, and 300% toxic comments section

mishra

Rising Star
I know this is just rumours and pure speculation but for lower tier $499 that's quite steep!
In UK this should translate to ~£380 but it never does, does it!? Most likely this will be around £400-450, if we're lucky. That is a hell lot of money.

I'm uber torn and quite frankly p*^ed off! I've sold my HD 7950 in order to finally get my new card in July/August ... now rumours say it's going to be September. Before most 3rd parties will start shipping them out properly are we looking, what October?

Current gen is over 2 years old... what the hell is Nvidia doing?! I know they have almost complete market domination but that is some super crap marketing tactics they play at the moment.

Should I just get GTX 1060 6GB now or wait forever for this next gen cards? Oh the horrors. It used to be so perfect before, where we had new gen GPU coming out every year. Now, Nvidia turned into Intel when it comes to market manipulation and sleazy sell tactics. Damn you Nvidia!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
but that is some super crap marketing tactics they play at the moment.
I don't think you can entirely blame them for the rumour mill.

Though I'd lend a certain amount of credence to the rumours they were about set to go, then held off a bit to shift some of the old stock. But yes, rumours are rumours only unfortunately and people gambling on rumours has the potential to go sideways as with any kind of attempt to play the market I suppose.

Nvidia are probably quite covered on this one thanks to the CEO's "not for a long while" statement. Arguably that was distasteful marketing as everyone knows they've coming out soon-ish, but Nvidia doesn't want people to stop buying current gen stuff. But it does mean the only bit of direct marketing / statement from Nvidia was to the effect that new GPUs wouldn't be out soon.

Rough luck though.

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
When I mentioned the sleazy tactics its was more the fact when mining hit and stocks were running low. I just don't buy that at all - they don't make cards based on daily demand. Those huge factories are making the cards well in advance. They know very well how many will sell each year. Call me paranoid but I believe they had enough cards ready during all that time. It was just easier for them to simply store them nicely in warehouses, which inevitably drove prices up.

Now suddenly, there are hundred of thousands cards available. I think Nvidia overshoot expectation for the mining industry as it was cut rather short too soon. Who knows maybe they kept them in the warehouse for just a tad too long. It's just infuriating that 2 years after GPU release prices are still higher than the MSRP.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think Nvidia overshoot expectation for the mining industry as it was cut rather short too soon.
agreed, based on what we're hearing.

It's just infuriating that 2 years after GPU release prices are still higher than the MSRP.
Agreed. A combination of lack of competition (even when AMD had competitive products, they just weren't available and so effectively there wasn't competition) exacerbated by the mining craze.

At least GPUs are now below FE MSRP. lol :/

The problem is that if Nvidia do come out with a new Gen, AMD have nothing up their sleeve just yet and Nvidia will be at liberty to charge what they want in the mid/high end..