Fan speeds and CPU heating (sorry this is probably an old, well-discussed topic)

iamroark

Hi, I know nothing about PC hardware, but I love my PC. Please help.

PC wouldn't start the other day - said couldn't detect keyboard, then complained of fan speed / CPU temp
I can get it started now and detect keyboard again but am concerned.
PC is saying CPU temp is 80C. Is this too hot? I have no idea how hot or not CPUs are supposed to be!
CPU fan is 1305RPM, but chassis / sys fan is only 475rpm - does that indicate it is knackered? Seems slow to me, but I know nahthing.
Have hoovered outside of case for dust, but not opened up case as inexperienced and what to leave this as last resort.

Not changed anything recently, other than installing a gamepad controller for some Steam games.

I have tried Googling answers, I have downloaded SpeedFan, but really I am just wandering around aimlessly looking for someone who knows what to do.

Please help, I am an old lady who is crying inside.

Attachments

• pc fan speed.PNG
    pc fan speed.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 456

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
80 degrees C is hot for an idle CPU.

If you take the side of the case off to look inside, does it appear a bit dusty? Especially around the CPU fan?

Going by the CPU model, the PC must be fairly old, and you've never cleaned the dust from the insides?

If you haven't, you should do so. You will want to make sure the PC is off, and don't use a hoover. Use a can of compressed air. If it's very dusty, take it outside on a dry day to dust it.

iamroark

Thanks - no I have never cleaned it! Too scared to open it in case I break something. And who just has cans of compressed air lying around. Is that a standard thing? And, where can I get one? See, told you I was an old lady.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You'd have to try pretty hard to break something by taking the side panel of a PC off. There's not likely to be anything attached to it (maybe a case fan, but very unlikely), you just open it to reveal the inside of the case.

Cans of compressed air are actually very common, you can get them for a few quid from places like PC World, Wilkinsons (I've bought them from our local one) - even our local stationers had some. People use them for things like blowing dust and crumbs out of keyboards, as well as cleaning the inside of a PC.

The normal speed for a fan depends on the fan.

58 degrees is less concerning than 80, but still fairly warm for an idle CPU.

I'd also be surprised if it was your system fan (i.e. a case fan) that was the cause of your high temps. It's more likely that your CPU fan and the CPU heatsink in particular are dusty and need a clean, especially if you've never cleaned it.

Watch this video for about 70 seconds from the place I linked it (~1:58-2:10): https://youtu.be/8QZ8j46GB2w?t=118

Last edited:

iamroark

That’s really helpful - thank you for taking the time to offer advice. I shall lay my hands on some air and give it a go! :)