AMD Threadripper 2nd Generation

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It could relate to Ryzen's relative pickiness with RAM and/or PCS's quite high bars for RAM stability/compatibility. It was ages before they offered Ryzen CPUs with anything faster than 2133MHz, which was a very sad situation. The point is it might be too hard for PCS to guarantee a stable supply of 8 stick RAM kits that run stably / stably enough to satisfy them at 3000MHz.

Bear in mind that you may run into compatibility issues if you try to add more RAM in the future - you may find that you'll end up needing to lower the frequencies, or that stuff that 'should' work just doesn't. The latter is also an issue on adding RAM to Intel systems though.

mishra

Rising Star
In the past, VMware ESXi would only install on approved network cards (so you may want to factor in additional network card, ideally from HCL). Unless this requirement changed with latest versions - I'm not 100% sure as I've always installed it on servers.

Another thing is the use of just single drive for your datastore. If it fails, all your data will be gone and you will have to restore from backups or rebuild your VM's from scratch on a new drive.
But then if you decide to get another drive and go with onboard RAID. I don't think ESXi will be able to monitor that in any way (it may still work tho). So ideally if you want to set this up properly factor additional Raid controller.

It may just work out for you out of the box, but to avoid disapointment research properly based on the mobo you are using.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
In the past, VMware ESXi would only install on approved network cards (so you may want to factor in additional network card, ideally from HCL). Unless this requirement changed with latest versions - I'm not 100% sure as I've always installed it on servers.

Another thing is the use of just single drive for your datastore. If it fails, all your data will be gone and you will have to restore from backups or rebuild your VM's from scratch on a new drive.
But then if you decide to get another drive and go with onboard RAID. I don't think ESXi will be able to monitor that in any way (it may still work tho). So ideally if you want to set this up properly factor additional Raid controller.

It may just work out for you out of the box, but to avoid disapointment research properly based on the mobo you are using.

I've not had any issues with VMware picking up NIC's for some time now - even bought a cheap and cheerful no-brand one from PC World in a rush as one of my iSCSI cards died and it went in and got detected.

I think it's less of an issue now than before, but it's one of the reasons I mentioned the HCL (hardware compatibility list) above.

You did used to be able to buy a cheap-as-chips Iomega NAS with iSCSI support and it was on the HCL and worked surprisingly well, all because EMC bought Iomega and or course, EMC owned VMware at the time.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The pricing versus cores on these things is insane. The 32-core 2990WX(3.0GHz base, 4.2GHz boost) was up for preorder for $1800. Compared to the 18 core 7980XE with an MSRP of ~$2000.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The pricing versus cores on these things is insane. The 32-core 2990WX(3.0GHz base, 4.2GHz boost) was up for preorder for $1800. Compared to the 18 core 7980XE with an MSRP of ~$2000.

I just hope AMD remain fair with pricing if they do gain ground with the 7nm node.

They are rediculously cheap for the performance.