Optimus VIII i5 7300HQ stuck at 1.5GHz

Batosss

Hello

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my i5-7300HQ is always stuck at 1.5GHz no matter what I do even tho its base clock should be 2.5GHz with 3.5 Turbo
Idle - 1.5GHz
Full Aida 64 Load - 1.5GHz

It's always at ~50C too, idle or load

I tried changing the power profiles through the Control Centre to Performance/Power Saving but no difference. Setting min/max % values for processor state in advanced power options still yield no difference.

Any ideas? The laptop isn't even 1 year old so I don't think this is normal.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I don't know the model but are there any settings in the BIOS that could be changed around clock speeds and/or power management? Obviously note anything before changing it and use caution. Maybe reset to defaults?

Does it matter if it's plugged into the mains or on battery? Have you checked the power profiles?

Others may have better solutions.

Batosss

I'm checking the clock speeds with Task Manager/HW Monitor/MSI Afterburner/CPU Z and they all show 1.5GHz.

I checked the issue and it only appears to be the case when on Battery, when plugged in the CPU runs at full speed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm checking the clock speeds with Task Manager/HW Monitor/MSI Afterburner/CPU Z and they all show 1.5GHz.

I checked the issue and it only appears to be the case when on Battery, when plugged in the CPU runs at full speed.

Check the Maximum Processor State in Processor Power Management in Power Options settings....

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok, I missed that. :eek:

It may be a BIOS requirement then, possibly a power saving feature? I'd check with PCS in that case.