17.3" Laptop Cooling Pad suggestions

TRJB

Hi guys,

I've recently bought the 17.3" Defiance V gaming laptop.

Before it arrives I'd like to purchase a cooling pad. There are so many on the market I'm not sure what is best to go for?

Budget-wise I'm open to anything under £40 though can go over if its genuinely a good deal. I don't mind how loud the noise is.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Thanks!

Stephen M

Author Level
I have a Xigmatek for my 17" Octane and it is very good and cost less than 20 but not sure if they still do them. I would recommend checking a local shop for them to see the sizes as there are many laptop cooling trays that state they are OK for 17"but are not. Zalman are a decent make but I have one theirs that claims it fits 17" but my 15" Optimuy is almost too big for it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have an Avantek cooling stand. IMO the things to look for are...

1. Two large fans are better than lots of smaller one. The small fans seem to fail quite quickly and they also seem to build up dust and muck faster.

2. An aluminium grid base (that the laptop sits on) is better than a plastic base. Plastic bases retain their heat so the cooling air is being heated by the plastic base.

3. Ensure you can adjust the height and angle of the stand. You don't want RSI.

4. Forget all the frills; you don't want (or need) extra USB ports (they'll be unpowered in any case). If you like LEDs then fair enough, but what you want is cooling performance rather than a light show.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I've had fantastic results with a vacuum cooler attached to an IKEA board for laptop.

I've used a mix of cardboard and tape to prop it up and fix it at the perfect height so that the hood lines up to where the exhaust would be. Place the laptop in position and then play games.

I've managed to get my GTX 765M to plat Dark souls 3 and metal gear solid V by sucking out the hot air. It simply won't work without it. The air coming out of the vacuum fan is like a hair dryer.

A cooling pad will cool down the chasis but not effect the temperature inside too much.

I'm planning to extend this to two vacuum fans for each exhaust for my new Octane VI when it arrives.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've had fantastic results with a vacuum cooler attached to an IKEA board for laptop.

I've used a mix of cardboard and tape to prop it up and fix it at the perfect height so that the hood lines up to where the exhaust would be. Place the laptop in position and then play games.

I've managed to get my GTX 765M to plat Dark souls 3 and metal gear solid V by sucking out the hot air. It simply won't work without it. The air coming out of the vacuum fan is like a hair dryer.

A cooling pad will cool down the chasis but not effect the temperature inside too much.

I'm planning to extend this to two vacuum fans for each exhaust for my new Octane VI when it arrives.

If it won’t game without that kind of cooling it’s because there’s a thermal issue with the laptop.

The normal cooling should be fine for gaming, a cooling pad just enhances the cooling.

When was the last time you cleaned the internals / repasted?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
If it won?t game without that kind of cooling it?s because there?s a thermal issue with the laptop.

The normal cooling should be fine for gaming, a cooling pad just enhances the cooling.

When was the last time you cleaned the internals / repasted?

I bought the laptop second hand a few years from gumtree,

The person claimed it was a year old but the price it was at it was a beast compared to anything else going second hand at the time.

In hindsight, due to the fact they didn't transfer the warranty (or offer to) I sort of suspect the laptop was probably stolen and resold.

I did open it up and clean out the dust from the vents but its beyond my capabilities to do anything more than that.

I also dropped it and one of the SATA bays no longer works so its time for an upgrade.

It's definitely not a model sold on here anymore.

THe keyboard has also been destroyed by my parrots as they bit off a lot of the keys when i took a nap one time and it relies on an external keyboard.

I'd like to give it to my brother, maybe the team here would be able to refurb it?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's probably not wise on a public forum to admit to knowingly receiving stolen property......

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Isn't there always that feeling when you buy things from gumtree?

I only knew about the warranty transfer thing after I bought a new one from here within the last few days. It's sort of confirmed it in my mind in hindsight though.

:sweatdrop:

ragnar28

Lol on the gumtree Issue. I had a issue with my laptop that i do clean out every 3 months or so for dust. I was hitting 90c and the fan made the laptop sound like it was going to take off. I had looked into cooling pads, pehaps i was looking on the wrong places online but most of what i had read said that with the temps im hitting its not really going to help. I opened it up one day to de dust and something just told me redo the thermal paste. I cannot begin the explain the difference Even with a gpu and cpu burner I cannot get it past 70c laptop quiet too as the fan isnt going crazy.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Lol on the gumtree Issue. I had a issue with my laptop that i do clean out every 3 months or so for dust. I was hitting 90c and the fan made the laptop sound like it was going to take off. I had looked into cooling pads, pehaps i was looking on the wrong places online but most of what i had read said that with the temps im hitting its not really going to help. I opened it up one day to de dust and something just told me redo the thermal paste. I cannot begin the explain the difference Even with a gpu and cpu burner I cannot get it past 70c laptop quiet too as the fan isnt going crazy.

I opened it up a few months ago and removed the sponge filter from the exhaust.... wait a minute this filter seems a bit funny... holy crap this is an at least 1cm thick dust sponge completely blocking the exhaust. This improved things considerably but I'm wondering if it needs repasted or whatever. Its in hairdryer mode on idle.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I opened it up a few months ago and removed the sponge filter from the exhaust.... wait a minute this filter seems a bit funny... holy crap this is an at least 1cm thick dust sponge completely blocking the exhaust. This improved things considerably but I'm wondering if it needs repasted or whatever. Its in hairdryer mode on idle.

If it's been overheating due to the blocked filter then it may well need repasting.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
If it's been overheating due to the blocked filter then it may well need repasting.

I'd agree totally. Thermal paste dries out anyway, but if it was overheating due to blocked vents as well, it'll only have made things worse.

Have a google for repasting - it's not that difficult to do and you'll notice a huge benefit.