WiFi not being picked up at all

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In addition to the above, is the version of Windows the one that came with the laptop or has it been upgraded since?

What PC / Laptop do you have? Where are you sourcing your drivers from?

It's an older Optimus can't remember the name had it about three years, only switched back to it recently.

Just went into device manager and checked for an update on the WiFi part, said it was all updated although I don't know if that's only because the WiFi couldn't connect...

It's W10 but strangely enough did an update last week - I'm pretty sure it's worked since that update though.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Is there a fn-function key combination to disable the wifi?

It's enabled in Windows? Can you see the wifi icon in your task bar? If you click on it, can you see ANY wifi signals?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's an older Optimus can't remember the name had it about three years, only switched back to it recently.

Just went into device manager and checked for an update on the WiFi part, said it was all updated although I don't know if that's only because the WiFi couldn't connect...

It's W10 but strangely enough did an update last week - I'm pretty sure it's worked since that update though.

If it was an update in-place (ie. not a clean install) then this could be your problem. Although updating in-place works for a majority of users there are lots and lots of reports of it causing niggly little issues. I would suggest that you download a copy of the latest Windows 10 installation media (1803) via https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and do a clean install of that. It's generally best to allow Windows Update to find and install all the necessary drivers, only manually install any that Windows update doesn't find.

I have a 4-year old Optimus IV and the latest Windows 10 runs just fine on that, clean installed though of course. :)

Is there a fn-function key combination to disable the wifi?

It's enabled in Windows? Can you see the wifi icon in your task bar? If you click on it, can you see ANY wifi signals?

The connections appeared briefly y'day then disappeared and gave me no option of seeing them after I tried to connect, connection works on my phone, tablet, desktop PC and everyone else in the house.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
At this point I'd suggest you have two options. First one being- if it's available - to roll back out of the 1803 update.

Failing that, I second ubuysa's recommendation of a clean install.

You might want to ensure you have chipset and network drivers downloaded to the windows install usb stick beforehand in case windows cannot find them, but if possible allow windows to find and install them for you during installation.