New Toy needs Software

Hi, I have just ordered my new laptop, and have after advice changed the drives. So I would like advice if possible on a good CHESS program, and any games that are exciting and or strategy based. I don't play games, but my future stepson does, and it may help build bridges.

My new laptop will be:

Chassis & Display Octane V: 15.6" Matte 4K IPS 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (3840x2160) (No G-Sync)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 OC 1480 MHz - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk 2TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Any advice will be greatfuly received.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
For strategy i'm currently loving Battletech, which is basically big robots fighting. There is a campaign and also PvP if you have separate machines. Xcom 2 was my previous big strategy game, Squad based tactical combat against alien invaders. Open to modding so there is a lot of replayability.
For excitement and knockabout laughs i'm playing Wreckfest, which is demolition derby/banger racing. It's getting a full release next week but is currently still in a cheaper early access version.

polycrac

Rising Star
Some great (free) strategy games that are easy to pick up and play, but which also have some depth, allowing replayability:

Glest/Megaglest: Create armies in real time and compete Vs other players or AI for resources. Choice of many races, each with tactical advantages. Lots of user generated factions and maps, great 3D visuals.

Battle for Wesnoth: Play turn based single matches or campaigns - loads of user generated campaigns and stories

Titans of Steel - Warring Suns: The game that first hooked me on battle mechs - very primative graphics and hex grid system but somehow it all works great! turn based combat vs AI or other players. Limited campaign mode

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Nobody has mentioned the Total War franchise, which is probably the dominant strategy series these days.

It's turn-based on the campaign map (where you position your armies and develop / capture cities and provinces) and has real-time battles. The franchise is very well established, and the most recent iterations are Warhammer Total War, and Warhammer Total War II. These are fantasy titles based in the Warhammer (Games Workshop) universe. If that doesn't appeal, there is Attila Total War (2015) which takes in the dark and complex period of the fall of the Roman empire. Rome Total War II (2012) charting its rise. Older titles include Shogun 2, Medieval II, Empire (18th C), and Napoleon. There is Britannia Total War which was recently released, but this is possibly a bit niche. But if the stepson likes TV shows Vikings or The Last Kingdom then that's the period Britannia covers.

For those who prefer 4x turn-based strategy, Civilization VI would be a go-to. I prefer Civ 5, but Civ 6 is the most recent iteration.

For a fun and not very complex 4x game, Warlock Master of the Arcane and Warlock 2 are very cheap (~£4 on sale).

As for fun and exiting, Witcher 3, Doom. Both of which are probably wildly inappropriate for age 13...

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I can heartily recommend an old version chess called Netblitz II.

It allows different engines and the like as well as network play.

I helped build it back in the day. It ran on Windows 10 previously. You'll have to Google a serial as there aren't any to buy any more. Its pushing 15 and abandonware.

The system has free copies of Warhammer: Vermintide 2 & XMorph Defense so I hope they will satisfy the 13yr old. But I will look into the others for my own use. And a good chess program.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Vermintide 2 is a 4-player coop only (no single player) first person shooter type game where you run around an infested city and bash / shoot rat-men. More or less.

Purchased Age of Empires as a platform to see if I can get some common ground with teenager. Just now need to figure out what keys I need to use for the action?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you don't have one it's probably worth getting a cheap mouse to play games on versus trying to use the trackpad :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have a wireless trackball, is that ok for use, or should I revert to a mouse?

Well most gamers would argue that a wireless keyboard and/or mouse can be too laggy, too open to interference etc.

But given you're not exactly going in for competitions, if you're happy with it and can drive your games with it, why change?

It took me ages to get used to a mouse and keyboard in FPS games back in the day - I'd much prefer a controller, but by virtue of that I'd get my backside handed to me by even a half-competent opponent :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you're happy with the track ball that's fine - I just can't imagine trying to play Age of Empires or any RTS on a laptop touchpad! :)

Oussebon, as you must have played Age of Empires before (I have started the program at least) where do I find out what keys I need to use to make anyone do something? I downloaded the game from Microsoft eStore, and other than take my money there is no manual or other document sent with the game. I need to have a head start or the 13 year old is going destroy me :(
All guidance will most gratefully be received. If you recommend using a controller please let me know which you would advise.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Which Age of Empires do you have? Age of Empires II? III? Or did you get the remastered version of the original, "Age of Empires: Definitive Edition?"

If it's the Definitive Edition, there is a manual to the original version here: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/comment/35643/#Comment_35643 which is apparently mostly valid.

There may be a manual in the game installation folder somewhere. The game probably has a tutorial as well. If there's an option to start a campaign rather than do random battles, do the campaign. I haven't played AOE in like 15+ years but from what I recall the campaign tells you a story and in the early missions gives instructions on how to play the game.

Which Age of Empires do you have? Age of Empires II? III? Or did you get the remastered version of the original, "Age of Empires: Definitive Edition?"

If it's the Definitive Edition, there is a manual to the original version here: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/comment/35643/#Comment_35643 which is apparently mostly valid.

There may be a manual in the game installation folder somewhere. The game probably has a tutorial as well. If there's an option to start a campaign rather than do random battles, do the campaign. I haven't played AOE in like 15+ years but from what I recall the campaign tells you a story and in the early missions gives instructions on how to play the game.

I have the Definitive Edition. Hoping I can get on with it.