Ultranote III Screen power intermittant

chwynn

Hi All, First time poster, looking for advice.

I have an ultranote III, bought in May 2016, and very recently it has developed a fault. Sometimes the screen doesn't turn on.

This can be from power cycling the machine, or just closing and opening the lid. Sometimes the screen turns on, sometimes it doesn't.

In all cases, the machine works perfectly with an external monitor. When the built in display is on, it appears as a connected device in windows, when its off, it doesn't appear.

This all looks like a power issue. I have re-seated the display and power cables on the board, but with little success. When the lid is closed and then opened again, the issue reoccurs.

I'm just looking for ideas on how to proceed, and understanding what is causing this issue.

Cheers,

Andy.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Perhaps there is a fault with the display cable, such that reseating doesn't help. You could phone PCS for support - it's possible an RMA may be needed.

chwynn

I'm currently in the RMA process, and that was my thinking. I think its either a display cable issue or a display issue. I'm not sure where the power management capacitors lie that "boot" the screen, whether they are on the motherboard or they are on the panel itself.

I reported the above issue, pretty much word for word, but also said that someone else used it and they saw a wisp of smoke coming from the body. I then received a quote to replace the motherboard, and apparently the first tech that recorded the issue put ONLY "wisp of smoke from motherboard" in the issue box. They said that they had done extensive testing, and the issue didn't present itself. I asked them to explain the issue to me, and they said "well, the new motherboard isn't smoking, and we left the machine on overnight doing stress tests, so its working... can we take payment for the board".

This just seems to me like they are rushing me out of the door without a clue as to what the original issue was, but they just want to tick off another successful job and get a paycheck. I explained the issue again and added that "if it really is a motherboard issue, can you also quite me for an upgrade"?

They came back to me first thing next day with quotes for upgrades, no mention of the issue.

I rang again, and politely asked what the guy before wrote down. "Customer would like upgrade quotes". Still no mention of the actual issue i'm experiencing.

I explained it all again, asked them to look into it, rang back 2 days later, the only note on my file was "Customer would like upgrade quotes". Starting to get annoyed.

I explained all of this to the support rep, and he defended that the techs know what they are doing, and they have seen this issue before. I asked him to explain the issue and he couldn't. He just said its a motherboard issue. I asked him to explain why this could occur when the screen is closed and opened, and he said "Its probably the cable to the screen, but they would replace that when they replace the motherboard".

I mean there is an obvious conclusion to draw here, and you don't have to be Poirot. I'm at my wits end. I don't expect anyone to read this, I just wanted to get it out.