Cant find my second storage drive

JoeS

Hello

Recently got a new PC which I am absolutely made up with. However, I cant see the second HDD at all. I have looked on computer management and it's not there and also in BIOS.

I don't know much past the basics with computers so I suspect it is something silly, what are the first things I should check?

Thanks in advance.

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX 5t GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 860 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H110i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Monitor
AOC AGON AG271QG 27" Gsync Gaming Monitor
Keyboard & Mouse
Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
Simplesurance Purchase Protection inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
SATURDAY DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (BEFORE 12 NOON)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Promotional Item
FREE entry to win 1 of 5 smart 4K TVs w/ select GIGABYTE Motherboards!
Promotional Item
FREE Warhammer: Vermintide 2 & XMorph Defense w/ select Intel CPUs!
Quantity

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If it doesn't appear at all in Windows Disk Management (right-click start icon and select Disk Management) then give PCS a call.

It's very common for second drives to be unformatted and with no assigned drive letter which is why Windows can't see them. Typically you have to go into Disk Management, create a simple volume on the drive and assign it a drive letter.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
If it doesn't appear at all in Windows Disk Management (right-click start icon and select Disk Management) then give PCS a call.

It's very common for second drives to be unformatted and with no assigned drive letter which is why Windows can't see them. Typically you have to go into Disk Management, create a simple volume on the drive and assign it a drive letter.
Also in Disk Management, if it initially doesn't appear, it's worth doing a rescan of the disks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
And if this doesn't work, you can always check if the power / data cables are loose, if you're comfortable taking the side panel of the case off.

Otherwise, call PCS and they'll talk you through options :)

seagate_surfer

Seagate Rep
Hello JoeS, another option when you contact PCS support is to have them check if your motherboard has the latest chip set drivers. Did this drive work before?

seagate_surfer

Seagate Rep
I would suggest attaching the drive to another computer but this seems to be a bit of a problem with only one PC. Could be a loose or bad cable as well. If you do choose to check your cables make sure the computer is powered off first.

JoeS

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I rung PCS who suggested I get into the case and check the connections, both the power and data cables had appeared to have been wrenched out of the HDD, presumably during transit, damaging the ports on the HDD. They are sorting out a swap replacement for me and I am gonna have a go at installing it myself.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I rung PCS who suggested I get into the case and check the connections, both the power and data cables had appeared to have been wrenched out of the HDD, presumably during transit, damaging the ports on the HDD. They are sorting out a swap replacement for me and I am gonna have a go at installing it myself.

Ah, at least an easy fix. It is just plug and play. Turn off the system at the wall, install the hdd, plug in SATA power and data cables, power on, go to disk manager and enable the drive by creating an active partition and give it a drive letter, then all set to go.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

It is of course entirely possible that they were never connected in the first place, IMO that's much more likely than that they came off in transit. AFAIK PCS don't test additional drives in Q&A? One could argue that they should of course.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is of course entirely possible that they were never connected in the first place, IMO that's much more likely than that they came off in transit. AFAIK PCS don't test additional drives in Q&A? One could argue that they should of course.

But then the input ports on the drive wouldn't have been damaged?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Spyder is right there - you'd assume if they'd never been connected there would be no damage to the connectors.

That said a couple of things spring to mind - I can't see how they'd be wrenched like that in transit...coming loose, I can get, but being wrenched with enough force to damage the actual connectors makes no sense to me. Sounds more likely that it was done accidentally during build.

And the other thing is your comment about not testing additional drives, Ubuysa...that...just seems incredible (and crazy-silly) that at the very least PCS aren't ensuring that they're visible to both the system and the OS.

Of course, that statement is predicated on the assumption that they don't.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've just been contacted by PCS, it seems they do test second drives, so my hypothesis of them never being connected must be wrong. :)

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this issue! As a confirmation we did indeed have both connected and tested. Below is a snip from the QC report.

---Hard Drive Size,Manufacturer---
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB?465.759308338165 Gb
ST2000DM006-2DM164?1863.01425218582 Gb

Anyway the Call Centre have already resolved this with you :) so I hope you manage to get it sorted with the new HDD.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Sorry to hear about this issue! As a confirmation we did indeed have both connected and tested. Below is a snip from the QC report.

---Hard Drive Size,Manufacturer---
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB?465.759308338165 Gb
ST2000DM006-2DM164?1863.01425218582 Gb

Anyway the Call Centre have already resolved this with you :) so I hope you manage to get it sorted with the new HDD.

Thanks for clarifying - it did seem odd that you wouldn't test 'em :)

Kudos to Ubuysa for clarifying as well.

JoeS

Well I have just completed my second ever delve into a case to plug in the replacement hard drive and it's all working! Many thanks to everyone here for their advice and of course to the helpful and patient people at PCS.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well I have just completed my second ever delve into a case to plug in the replacement hard drive and it's all working! Many thanks to everyone here for their advice and of course to the helpful and patient people at PCS.

:clap: