Overclocked i7-8700k seems to getting really hot when video rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I got an Arcticlean kit, which had some Arctic Silver 4 or 5 paste and a couple of bottles of stuff to clean the CPU and the heatsink. There's enough for quite a few applications, if you bodge the first attempt (as I did on my first attempt at repasting a CPU). http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm Can be bought from plenty of places.

dgrey6891

I got an Arcticlean kit, which had some Arctic Silver 4 or 5 paste and a couple of bottles of stuff to clean the CPU and the heatsink. There's enough for quite a few applications, if you bodge the first attempt (as I did on my first attempt at repasting a CPU). http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm Can be bought from plenty of places.

Thank you Oussebon. I've used Arctic Silver in the past a long time ago and it served me well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately I did the latter so I will need to reapply. Do you have any recommendations on which thermal paste/cleaner I should buy? Thank you.

I’d highly recommend thermal grizzly kryonaught, I’ve used it for a couple of years now and it’s excellent.

Arctic silver as above is also excellent. Didn’t realise it came in a kit, that’s well worth it.

dgrey6891

Thank you for the suggestions. Do you have any feedback about Arctic MX-4? It seems to be quite popular on amazon.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks again for the advice! One last thing, what would be best to remove the old thermal paste? I've seen people using lint free cloth and even coffee filters.

Lint free cloth is probably the best, I picked up a pack of 5 at local supermarket and they’re excellent. Kitchen paper will do at a push (not tissue paper or toilet paper).

dgrey6891

I would just like to say I followed your advice and changed/re-applied the thermal paste to the CPU and I went with Arctic Silver 5. After the first try I noticed that the temperatures were still running quite high whilst conducting a stress test on the CPU with AIDA64. So I decided to re-apply the thermal paste and tried another stress test for 10 minutes and the temperatures ranged from 73-75 which I think is a big improvement from what there were like previously.

However I did run Vegas Movie Studio 14 once more and the temps started to rise again to 85+. I still have the AVX set to 2 but do you think I should change it to 1 or perhaps 0 to help improve temperatures? I would just like to say thank you once again for your help but if you think anything else could be improved please let me know. Thanks again

stabilitytest.png stabilitytest2.png

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would just like to say I followed your advice and changed/re-applied the thermal paste to the CPU and I went with Arctic Silver 5. After the first try I noticed that the temperatures were still running quite high whilst conducting a stress test on the CPU with AIDA64. So I decided to re-apply the thermal paste and tried another stress test for 10 minutes and the temperatures ranged from 73-75 which I think is a BIG improvement from what there were like previously. I still have the AVX set to 2 as well but I would just like to say thank you once again for your help but if you think anything else could be improved please let me know. Thanks

View attachment 11745 View attachment 11746

That’s much more what would be expected I’d say. Bravo, well done!

dgrey6891

That’s much more what would be expected I’d say. Bravo, well done!

I just edited the post above but whilst running Vegas Movie Studio 14 the temps shot up to 85-90. I still have the AVX set to 2, but do you think I should reduce it to 1 or perhaps 0? Thanks again for your help.

stabilitytest3.png

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The AVX offset reduces CPU frequency. An offset of 2 reduces it by 200MHz. So reducing the offset would increase the frequency and the temps - assuming ofc this has anything to do with AVX.

dgrey6891

Thanks for the info Oussebon and I changed it back to 2. I think the issue may just be related to Vegas Movie Studio 14 so I think I will use version 15 which allows me to render using the GPU to take some of the train off the CPU. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.