Case fan.

My father bought me a custom computer last christmas, and the case fan seems to of stopped working, I have looked inside the case and followed the wire, but I can only follow it to a certain extent because the cable is hidden and I cannot find where it goes. Please can I have some help, thankyou.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What's the full spec of the PC? If your father bought you the PC perhaps he can email you the text of the spec from his PCS account for you to post?

Case: InWin gt1 black gaming case
cpu- i7 (dont know which one)
motherboard- gigabyte z170x gaming 3 atx
ram- 16gigs hyper x fury
ssd - 120gb kingston uv400
hdd- 1tb sata-III
power supply- corsair 450w
processor cooling-intel standard cpu cooler

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sorry, lost track of this thread

The manual for the case is here:
https://www.inwin-style.com/media/gaming-chassis/GT1/20160302064619_96767.pdf

Though it might not be very instructive, but should indicate which parts of the case you can remove to get a better look inside. Both side panels can be taken off, and you will likely want to remove them both so you can see all the cables properly.

The case has a fan controller built in. I can't find exactly how they have it structured, but in general the case fans will all plug into connectors that are linked to the controller, and then the controller will have a plug that goes probably to the PSU to power the fans.

The case probably has more than 1 fan. How many does it have, and which ones have stopped spinning?
If all of them have stopped, I would suspect the cable from the controller to the PSU has come loose.
If only 1 case fan has stopped, I'd suspect the cable from the fan to the controller is loose.
If only 1 fan isn't working, and it's definitely plugged into the controller, try plugging it into a fan header on the motherboard. (the manual tells you where the headers are: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-gaming3_e.pdf )
If that works, then there was an issue with the fan controller. If the fan still doesn't work plugged into a chassis fan header on the mobo, it would seem to me to be a dead fan.

Just a follow up, I’ve followed the wire on the back and it’s connected into the psu, but does not spin, I also want to reapply thermal paste? How do I remove the cooler etc?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Are you repasting because you want to lower CPU temperatures? If so, you should consider buying and installing a different cooler at the same time as the stock Intel cooler is not nearly as effective as many budget tower coolers out on the market.

If you are sure that the fan is connected directly to the PSU and it is not spinning, then I would try connecting it to a motherboard fan header. If it still doesn't work, I would replace the fan.