New Build

leefen

Hi Gents,

Just recently purchased a new build, been out of the PC universe for a good few years back when WoW was in it's prime! I've mainly been relying on the ps4 to fill my gaming needs but sold myself on the idea that a new gaming pc would allow me to also spend code at home and not just at work.. sure.. I tend to favour AAA games so will be looking at Anthem, Division 2 come release, for now PUBG and other BR variants, basically need to see what fantastic games I've been missing out on!

No pictures currently but spec wise is as follows. Predominantly gaming and only @ 1080 so opted for the i5-8400 over a Ryzen 2600X. Aftermarket cooler despite no OC as I'd prefer to keep temps and more importantly noise down. Could have got away with a VS-450 PSU but after reading many reviews opted for a 80+ Gold, unfortunately the 550w was out of stock so had to go higher (hopefully not a dumb move, as may cater for a hungrier gpu upgrade down the line.)

Thoughts most welcome.

Cheers,
Lee
---------------------------------------------

Case FRACTAL DEFINE S BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8400 (2.8GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME B360M-A: Micro-ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM) 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 250GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD, (upto 550MB/sR | 525MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Monitor ASUS VS248HR 24" GAMING MONITOR

leefen

RAM Question - Gaming PC

Hey gents,

Currently my new system is in pre-processing so I am able to make amendments. My current dilemma is with the current price of RAM I opted for 8GB (configuration only allowed for 2133mhz, but mobo supports up to 2666mhz), however now I'm wondering if I should have gone for 16GB? It would incur an additional £75 which seems quite pricey.

Would the additional 8GB be worthwhile or should I wait for prices to go down and eventually swap my current stick to 16GB of 2666mhz?

------------

Case FRACTAL DEFINE S BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8400 (2.8GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME B360M-A: Micro-ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM) 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 250GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD, (upto 550MB/sR | 525MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sorry, meant to come back to this.

In fact I was 100% convinced I had replied as I remember typing out the text very clearly. Thankfully the forum had saved it and let me auto-restore it.

I would not recommend 16gb RAM. 1) the performance difference for gaming is slim to 0. 2) RAM is super expensive right now, to the point of being around twice the price of what you could buy DDR3 for. 3) As you say, PCS don't sell 2666MHz RAM with this motherboard.

Therefore, stick to 1 x 8gb. You won't get much benefit off 16gb, and when the time comes that you do want to upgrade, hopefully you might be able to buy 2 x 8gb 2666MHz for not too much more than the extra 2133MHz stick would cost you now.

Also the SX6000 M.2 SSD is back in stock now - so if possible I would remove the WD Blue SSD and select instead the SX6000 SSD from the M.2 SSD dropdown menu. It's the same price (£3 cheaper actually I think) but is faster than the WD Blue.

Last edited:

leefen

Sorry for late reply, not used to the forum yet and if notifications come through. I appreciate your advice here Oussebon and have made those amends, I hadn't heard great things of ADATA but for the price and your recommendation I'm more than happy to go with an M.2.