OctaneV 15 Noise/temperature question need silent config

nestown

Hi,

I would like to purchase an Octanev15 with a 8700k and a gtx1060.
I mostly need to work as a musician and need a solution relativly silent.
If i use the pc for playing game the cooling system need to work harder and will be noiser i'm ok with that,
but in my normal use, only the cpu will be stressed ( a lot), do i have to worry about the noise of cooling system ?

Thx a lot

Impromptu

Hi,

I would like to purchase an Octanev15 with a 8700k and a gtx1060.
I mostly need to work as a musician and need a solution relativly silent.
If i use the pc for playing game the cooling system need to work harder and will be noiser i'm ok with that,
but in my normal use, only the cpu will be stressed ( a lot), do i have to worry about the noise of cooling system ?

Thx a lot

I've just migrated to an Octane 17" with 8700k, 1070 GPU, 1080p 144Hz screen, 32GB RAM and all-SSD storage. It sits on a little stand for extra help with ventilation and to angle the keyboard a little.
The chunky Clevo chassis and dual heat pipes are very good for heat dissipation. Even during demanding gaming the fans aren't obtrusive enough that I need headphones. I can't vouch for the smaller chassis of an Octane 15" though.
Along with many others in the sound community, I reckon the 8700k is the best option available for trouble-free audio work. The power draw on this CPU is lower than on previous generations, which makes quite a difference in terms of heat and noise.
I use REAPER and my latest project has 100+ tracks and 100+ plugins, including 7 sample libraries. The 8700k's six cores don't even break sweat. Real-time CPU usage peaks at 12% and the fans don't even move.
Couple of extra points. Do some research to find out how to optimise your DAW for multiple cores. And go for SSDs - the speed advantage is a no-brainer, but less obvious is that they don't have to power motors, so there's a power and temperature gain as well.

Last edited: