1080p - 60hz or spend for 144hz

leefen

Hi all,

As the title states I've been debating whether to spend more on a monitor to pair with my 1060 6GB. I'll be playing at 1080p hopefully hitting 60+, if I enable vsync/adaptive-sync would that prevent any screen tearing if I'm hitting high fps? Would it be better to get a 1080p 144hz monitor to allow the extra frames through. Not sure if I'd notice the difference between 60 or 90 fps, never experienced. Anyone have any thoughts? Right now I can't afford a G-Sync monitor so that's out unfortunately.

Current 60hz monitor in consideration: ASUS VS248HR 24"

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What games do you play, and at what sort of settings? The benefits of getting a 144hz monitor if you'll not be pushing more than ~60fps anyway are debatable. The kinds of 144hz monitors available around £200 won't have gsync, so that's not a factor either.

leefen

Variety of games really, but probably lean towards FPS and RPG - Escape from Tarkov, Fallout games, Elder Scrolls, Division, etc. Ideally would like to try and keep settings at high/Ultra, but happy to toggle down to maintain smooth frames. Would you recommend to stick with 60hz on this gpu?

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Would you recommend to stick with 60hz on this gpu?
Maybe. 144hz monitors will probably have better quality panels than the usual ~£100 60hz fare, so even if you don't get much framerate over 60 the monitors themselves might be better.

If you can still change to an RX 580 that would be a great pairing with a 144hz freesync monitor and would be the ideal. If you already have your system, you may prefer to stick to 60hz and save the ~£100 difference towards a future GPU and higher res and refresh monitor.

You're not going to be pulling much more than 60 on games like FO4, especially with mods, and The Division at the higher settings.