vPro (etc) Network cards and embedded management

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
One of the questions often asked on here is what is/whether to buy a vPro network card.

The advice from myself - and others - is usually a flat nope.

vPro basically has additional hardware and coding that allows additional remote administration.

Unless you're in a corporation, any added "remote management" type items should be eschewed as they ultimately increase the potential pathways for hackers.

And it's not just network cards that fall foul of this. Almost all HP servers have a remote management board - an iLO (integrated Lights-Out) card that allows lots of remote goodness from powering servers on and off, to viewing their power usage, general health and even remote control.

But...then you find out things like they can be accessed with 29 "A"'s...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ion-on-hpe-ilo4-servers-with-29-a-characters/

So the advice still stands...if you don't need it, don't get it. It's kinda hard to hack something that doesn't phyiscally exist :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So true, sadly the word 'Pro' tends to make some think that it just has to be better......

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think I'd like to borrow this (and credit ofc) for the Unofficial Hardware FAQs thread I did a while ago. If that would be alright?

Would someone feel able/ mind doing a small bit of text on the "which wifi card do I need for my desktop?" topic? People buying £100 wifi USB adapters because they think it will make their home's internet connection faster, etc.. needing to check the router isn't just 150mbps N before spending the cash on an AC1750 wifi card.. or whatever other bear traps are out there.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think I'd like to borrow this (and credit ofc) for the Unofficial Hardware FAQs thread I did a while ago. If that would be alright?

Would someone feel able/ mind doing a small bit of text on the "which wifi card do I need for my desktop?" topic? People buying £100 wifi USB adapters because they think it will make their home's internet connection faster, etc.. needing to check the router isn't just 150mbps N before spending the cash on an AC1750 wifi card.. or whatever other bear traps are out there.

I will if you like?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
My knowledge of networking extends as far as plugging things in and restarting them until they work if there's a problem. So I'll take any offers, especially from experts such as your good self :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'll absolutely defer to Ubuysa on that one. I'm good at the hardware level and in an enterprise/business network but I suspect his networking knowledge far exceeds mine :)

PS feel free to reuse anything. I'm a huge believer that knowledge is to be shared, not hoarded.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This excellent, thanks guys :) I've edited in a few more bits to the post. Hopefully it's still broadly accessible.

Also updated the i5 vs i7 section to take account of 8th Gen.

+ edited in your note about SSDs and general PC performance.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This excellent, thanks guys :) I've edited in a few more bits to the post. Hopefully it's still broadly accessible.

Also updated the i5 vs i7 section to take account of 8th Gen.

+ edited in your note about SSDs and general PC performance.

Happy to have helped. :)