Pre-purchase Check: Cosmos VII with Linux Manjaro

Rhubbarb

Hello,

I currently have a Cosmos II (two) laptop on which I have been running Kubuntu 14.04 LTS very happily.

I am planning to buy a Cosmos VII (seven) laptop, and to install Linux Manjaro (or perhaps Kubuntu 18.04 LTS, or Linux Mint KDE) on this. Do you know whether that is likely to be successful, or do you know of any problems e.g. with driver availability?

The spec for the machine is:

Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 8300H (2.3GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo)

Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 630 - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12

1st Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB ADATA SX6000 PCIe M.2 2280 (1000 MB/R, 800 MB/W)
(for the O/S)

Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)

Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0

USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

(The machine will not be used for gaming, so I have not bothered with a fancy graphics card.)

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rob.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's likely you'll be able to install Linux without issues, as most of the components are very standard. The worst people tend to report is things like keyboard RGB backlighting or customisable fan profiles not being available in higher end models, although people have recently posted methods for getting these to work on Ubuntu recently on this forum. THat's not a guarantee, but I'd be extremely confident.

Stephen M

Author Level
I have installed Linux, mainly Ubuntu and Debian but also tried various distros on four PCs laptops and had no major issues. The laptops range from a low end Voyager, no longer made, to an Octane. You may need to fiddle a little, possibly install with nomodeset but it should be fairly trouble free.