Coffee lake refresh

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Intel-Core-9th-Gen-Series.png

If accurate, Intel really have lost the plot with naming schemes. 8c/16T i9, 8C/8T i7 ?!

Temps could be pretty crazy on those 8C/16T at 4.7GHz on 8 cores. Coffee Lake wasn't any hotter than Kaby Lake, but Kaby Lake seemed a lot hotter than Skylake. If this is like the latter, one wonders at the kind of cooling that will be needed with these.

Maybe rumours of soldered IHS are true? Or just wishthinking again.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
View attachment 11841

If accurate, Intel really have lost the plot with naming schemes. 8c/16T i9, 8C/8T i7 ?!

Temps could be pretty crazy on those 8C/16T at 4.7GHz on 8 cores. Coffee Lake wasn't any hotter than Kaby Lake, but Kaby Lake seemed a lot hotter than Skylake. If this is like the latter, one wonders at the kind of cooling that will be needed with these.

Maybe rumours of soldered IHS are true? Or just wishthinking again.

I am somewhat out of touch with CPU's etc but when was the last time Intel didn't do hyperthreaded processors? I wonder what would drive them to drop hyperthreading in some CPUs?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
but when was the last time Intel didn't do hyperthreaded processors
Well *deep breath*

For a long time, i3 = 2 cores + HT, i5 = 4 cores and no HT, i7 = 4 cores + HT. Certainly Sandy Bridge-Kaby Lake. This is for the desktop space, and generally for the mobile (H) space too. So i5s never had HT.
Except for the ULV (U) CPUs where i3, i5, and i7 were all 2 core + HT.

Then with Coffee Lake, i3 becomes 4 core and no HT, i5 is 6 core with no HT, and i7 is 6 core + HT. With Kaby Lake refresh seeing ULV i5 and i7 being 4 cores + HT and i3s 2C + HT.

So whether a CPU has hyperthreading depends not only on whether it is i3/i5/i7 but also whether it's for desktops or mobile, and/or what generation it is.

The main thing is that i7s of all kinds have always had HT (at least Sandy Bridge onwards, no idea about the older gens).

Except if this rumour is true. Then i7 becomes as meaningless as i9.

Bearing in mind i9 means 10 core or more CPUs with HT in the HEDT space. Or just the same as an i7 with slightly higher clocks that it may not even really reach in the mobile (H series) space.

No, really.

For the sake of simplicity, let's ignore the pentiums and celerons.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well *deep breath*

For a long time, i3 = 2 cores + HT, i5 = 4 cores and no HT, i7 = 4 cores + HT. Certainly Sandy Bridge-Kaby Lake. This is for the desktop space, and generally for the mobile (H) space too. So i5s never had HT.
Except for the ULV (U) CPUs where i3, i5, and i7 were all 2 core + HT.

Then with Coffee Lake, i3 becomes 4 core and no HT, i5 is 6 core with no HT, and i7 is 6 core + HT. With Kaby Lake refresh seeing ULV i5 and i7 being 4 cores + HT and i3s 2C + HT.

So whether a CPU has hyperthreading depends not only on whether it is i3/i5/i7 but also whether it's for desktops or mobile, and/or what generation it is.

The main thing is that i7s of all kinds have always had HT (at least Sandy Bridge onwards, no idea about the older gens).

Except if this rumour is true. Then i7 becomes as meaningless as i9.

Bearing in mind i9 means 10 core or more CPUs with HT in the HEDT space. Or just the same as an i7 with slightly higher clocks that it may not even really reach in the mobile (H series) space.

No, really.

For the sake of simplicity, let's ignore the pentiums and celerons.

My brain just melted!

Wow, Intel....something that rhymes with flustercluck comes to mind. I could understand laptops not having HT to save power and lower heat but even that's not consistent with them.

Thanks for the erm clarification :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Yeah, AMD releasing Ryzen has kind of made the i3/i5/i7 definitions go from a bit confusing (ULV vs desktop) to complete garbage.

Further news supporting the existence of an 8C/8T i7: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-core-i7-9700k-with-8-cores-and-no-hyper-threading-spotted

And the 9900k (8C 16T) will be soldered: https://videocardz.com/newz/golem-intel-core-i9-9900k-will-be-soldered

Goodness knows what the pricing will be... the 8C/8T one will probably end up being around what the 6C/12T 8700k is :/ I tremble to think what they'll charge for 8C/16T and soldered IHS. £450-500? It'll be the 7820x all over again.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Good god. It used to be easy. One CPU type. One compatible mobo that was compatible. All you had to decide on was which board gave you the extras you were willing to pay for.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
New rumours saying next year for the 8-cores. Which comes dangerously close to Zen2, and would probably not be good for Intel
https://videocardz.com/76910/intel-roadmaps-leaked-core-i9-9900k-coming-next-year

I thin Intel are gonna struggle a lot from next year, I can’t see them making up ground too quickly.

Unless AMD really mess up the 7nm release, I just can’t see how intel will compete a whole node behind, AMD have been very clever in this build up. It’s going to be very interesting.

polycrac

Rising Star
Groan. Blows my upgrade plans again!

*edit* Some reddit users are saying that was an old road map published by accident (I know - "it was on reddit so must be the case", I can hear myself sounding ridiculous, but I need the hope!).

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Quite a few mobo makers seem to have announced this, Gigabyte, MSI, now Asus.

I hadn't quite twigged before, but the whole thing about needing a new Intel mobo for each new release isn't quite accurate.
Sandy Bridge mobos (-60) were ok for Ivy Bridge, Haswell mobos (-80) were okay for Devil's Canyon, Skylake (-100) was okay for Kaby Lake, and now Coffee Lake (-300) mobos will be suitable for the 9000 series CPUs. And Broadwell was on the Devil's Canyon (-90) mobos.

That says more about a whole series of relatively minor refreshes than anything else, but still, in those terms it's not quite as surprising as I originally thought that 9000 series will work with -300 series mobos.

Although apparently Coffee Lake also works with earlier mobos with some hacking, so Intel's like about why a new series was needed was a crock.