Octane V 17" Review

Impromptu

Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.

Basic spec: Octane 17" 8700K, 1070 GPU, 144Hz 1080p screen.
User added: 32GB RAM, 500GB PCIe SSD (system drive and essential progs), 1TB PCIe SSD (other progs), 1TB SATA SSD (data drive 1), 1TB SATA SSD (data drive 2).

The 8700K and 1070 are a very good match for this chunky Clevo chassis (a P775DM3 - two SoDIMM slots, two PCIe bays and two SATA bays are easily accessible, but you'll need the service manual and some confidence if you want to reach the two hidden SoDIMM slots). The cooling solution works well and is probably helped by the fact that this is an unashamedly big laptop. It's portable sure, but I tend to mostly regard it as a desktop replacement.

I use the machine for some pretty demanding audio, image and video work, as well as general office stuff. Plus games, of course. At stock the CPU makes short work of just about everything and the GPU handles most games with ease at this resolution. The only time I've heard the fans is during very GPU-intensive tasks and even then the noise isn't obtrusive enough that I need to use headphones.

Some may think a 1070 GPU is overkill for 1080p, but I reckon it's worthwhile at 144Hz. The screen is GSYNC-compatible but I haven't needed to use that setting. Maybe it would struggle with the latest bleeding-edge games at Ultra, but I don't mind a bit of High here and there. In any event, I find a lot of Ultra settings are wasted on less than 4k. In fact, I reckon 4k itself is wasted at this screen size.

I don't think undervolting the CPU would be necessary, since the fans only seem to kick in when the GPU is engaged. I've left everything at stock for now - there doesn't seem to be a need to overclock - but will run a few tests sometime. I'd be interested in any other experiences people might have had trying to soup up this configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulturner-hill146

A i7 8700k cpu in a Defiance laptop? do you mean the Octane V? The i7 8700k is a desktop cpu and the Defiance uses a H series cpu not the S series.

The model number P775DM3 seems to be a Octane IV i think.

I'm waiting to take delivery of a Octane V with a i7 8700K and a 1070 gpu. Are you using a cooling pad with yours?

Last edited:

Impromptu

Ah yeah - you're right. It's an Octane V. I find Clevo chassis difficult to track down, but the service manual for the one I listed seems right. Certainly good enough to explain how to remove the heat pipes and reach the release mechanism for the keyboard.

No cooling pad, but it sits on a little x stand to help with airflow. I also like the way these stands rake the keyboard towards you - so used to it now that I find a flat keyboard uncomfortable.

I'd better see if I can rename the thread.

paulturner-hill146

Mine should be with me on Monday. At the price it cost it is expensive but it suits my needs compaired to a desktop and is much cheaper than branded similar spec laptops out there. Hopefully I'll have no thermal issues.

I'm just trying to find somewhere that does quality laptop skins now.

Impromptu

Note to mods:
I think it would be helpful to others if this thread could be renamed to "Octane V 17" review". My fault.

Paul:
One of the things I like about the PCS/Clevo laptops is that they just look like computers, not hotrods. But each to his own.
Good luck with your new beast - I've been very pleased with mine. I wish you fair wind and full sail.

paulturner-hill146

Received today but I don't understand a few things about the keyboard lighting and control centre.

1. How do I make the lighting stay on permanently? Also is it normal that when you play any games in steam the keyboard never illuminates?

2. What are the 4 options at the top of the control centre for? and the the 4 icons to the side? I know what the aeroplane symbol is for but the other 3 icons I've not a clue. Manual does not seem to tell me.

I also have to agree with you about the look of the laptop, it's aesthetically pleasing and the pics on the website don't do it justice. I'm not going to bother with a skin now.

Impromptu

1. Click the Device tab and there's a sleep timer option for the keyboard lighting - disable it.
2. I think the four options are simple one-shot automatic configs for screen brightness, power consumption, fan activity, temperature limiting, etc. The icons to the right just indicate whether you have various keyboard locks on or off.