Looking for monitor recommendations and some questions.

So I want to upgrade my monitor. I'm looking for a 22-27 inch one, at 1440p, needs to have g sync since I'm using an Nvidia card, I don't really play anything that requires split second precision so the better colours of an IPS would be preferable to the better response time of a TN panel. The pc is used only for gaming, not doing any editing or other demanding stuff.

With that set up is it worth going for a 144-165fps monitor? From what I've looked up apparently the point is not to get 144 or 165fps but to simply get >60fps and since I'm currently using a 22 inch 1080p 60fps monitor this seems like a decent upgrade.

Also I notice that monitors now have DVI connections as well as HDMI, what's the difference there? Is one better than the other? My card does have a dvi connector right? (it's kinda awkward to pull the case out to check :p)

Finally, what monitors would you recommend getting?

Pc specs, I think this is all that's relevant for what I'm asking.

Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You'll almost certainly be using a DP connection to your new monitor. What is your budget for the monitor?

About £500, I can be a bit flexible with it though, it's more a case of what i'm willing to spend rather than what I can afford.

If it's gonna last a long time it's worth the money, my current monitor is 6 years old so I'm after something that won't be needing an upgrade for a while.

Dell S2716DG is available for £550 (27", 1440p, 144hz, gsync) --- tn panel

Acer Predator XB271HK ~£500 (27", 4k, IPS, gsync) ---- I'm assuming you meant the one that is style name WQHD, ZeroFrame, G-Sync, 165Hz(OC), IPS. This is the one I've been looking at but the reviews are a bit worrying, the quality control on them seems very hit and miss

Acer Predator XB281HK ~£530 (28", 4k, TN, gsync) ---tn panel

Asus ROG SWIFT PG278QR ~£590 (27", 1440p, 165hz, gsync) --- tn panel

AOC AG271QG ~£600 (27", 1440p, 165hz, IPS, gsync) ---- again reviews are all very hit and miss. There was one picture showing so much back light bleed in all 4 corners that the blank black screen being displayed was more white than black.

I'm gonna keep holding out for a good IPS, any more suggestions? The reviews for that Dell do look very good if I have to settle for a TN though. I haven't really compared many of those yet though.

Last edited:

polycrac

Rising Star
I just bought this one:

Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 27-inch WQHD Gaming Monitor - (IPS Panel, G-Sync, 165Hz (OC), 4ms, ZeroFrame, DP, HDMI, USB hub, Height adjustable stand, Black)

And I love it! It was a big upgrade for me (from 21.5 inch, 1080p, tn). At £550 it wasn't cheap, you could probablyfind a better bargain out there.
I have a stock 1080ti and am getting 100-144 fps on pubg (ultra settings). The fps makes less difference to me than the definition (and to a lesser extent, the bright colours). I think I'd have been better off with a 4k 60 hz gsync instead, but they were £200 more!