Defiance V temperatures

IAMROBH

Hello guys

I have bought last week my Defiance V from PCS for the first time and is running amazingly. I am just not sure about the temperatures of both CPU/GPU. I have tested it playing The Crew 2 and I got those results:

It does not matter if the specs are low or ultra, I have noticed that the performance is not very much affected:

WITHOUT turbo boost:
67 degrees for both gpu and cpu after like 5 minutes of play

WITH turbo boost:
86 degrees cpu 71 degrees gpu after like 5 minutes of play

I was monitoring the temperatures using the Control Center 2.0 provided.

Is it better keep the laptop with the turbo disabled? It does affect very very little the performance (for what I've noticed) or should I keep it on?
If I keep it on, almost always is in turbo mode over the 2.2Ghz base frequency and the laptop gets hot quite fast, even when in idle with no big background operations. Is it normal?
What is the safe temperature it should have under heavy load and should not go over? I have read is around 85 but I am not sure if is right.
What is the temperature it should have when in idle?
Temperatures are generally much lower when turbo boost is disabled.

ps I am also using a cooler with 3 small fans.

My specs:

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 1500MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 200W AC Adaptor
Battery
Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (66WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + Sound BlasterX® Pro-Gaming 720˚
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports
Keyboard Language
RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What do you mean without turbo boost? where are you disabling turbo boost as it would be on by default?

The GPU temp is fine, rather good in fact.

86 degrees on the CPU is pretty warm. I might consider an undervolt. But it's not lifethreatening as temps go.

Disabling turbo boost is serious nerfing your GPU's performance, and will bottleneck some games / cause framerate drops. If you have high temps, disabling turbo boost is not the answer. It would be like cutting off your head for a headache.

Last edited:

IAMROBH

What do you mean without turbo boost? where are you disabling turbo boost as it would be on by default?

The GPU temp is fine, rather good in fact.

86 degrees on the CPU is pretty warm. I might consider an undervolt. But it's not lifethreatening as temps go.

Disabling turbo boost is serious nerfing your GPU's performance, and will bottleneck some games / cause framerate drops. If you have high temps, disabling turbo boost is not the answer. It would be like cutting off your head for a headache.

I have an app which disables it when I choose to.
So far I am not noticing any problems with GTA V when disabled and temps are stables around 65 for processor and 57 for the GPU. I have been played for like 2h now with turbo off and it's going good.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
. . .

You paid a lot of money for a system with a powerful CPU with turbo boost.

You then disable turbo boost instead of trying to address the issue of temperatures.

You seem to just be looking for validation that turning off turbo boost is fine because that's clearly what you want to do.

Okay. Turning off turbo boost is fine. It's not, but as that's what you're looking to hear, I'll tell you it's fine.

Why did you even bother making this thread if you're not going to listen? Actually, don't bother answering, it would be a waste of time to everyone to read it.

This runs "I play games on low settings on my £2000 gaming PC so I get 1200fps on my 60hz monitor because I like more FPS" into a close second for stupidity.

/thread

Last edited:

IAMROBH

. . .

You paid a lot of money for a system with a powerful CPU with turbo boost.

You then disable turbo boost instead of trying to address the issue of temperatures.

You seem to just be looking for validation that turning off turbo boost is fine because that's clearly what you want to do.

Okay. Turning off turbo boost is fine. It's not, but as that's what you're looking to hear, I'll tell you it's fine.

Why did you even bother making this thread if you're not going to listen? Actually, don't bother answering, it would be a waste of time to everyone to read it.

This runs "I play games on low settings on my £2000 gaming PC so I get 1200fps on my 60hz monitor because I like more FPS" into a close second for stupidity.

/thread

Just lol. Calm down buddy. I'm not looking for any validation, I'm trying to find out why the temperatures are like this and I said that turning that off reduces them very much. Said this because I cannot understand how a game can run the same even with turbo off. If that game required more processing power, then it shouldn't have run properly by limiting it to 2.2 instead of 3.8 (a logical thinking for someone with no knowledge on this). I didn't say I want that feature off (of course would be stupid no?!?). I'm exploring different possibilities to reduce heat as I have not a large knowledge like you about computers.
As you are so smart, explain in detail why the game runs in the same way even without turbo mode? With the advantages of having lower temperatures.
Instead of accusing people, based on your (untrue) intuition, try to give a hand explaining rather than showing off or just don't bother to comment.

Rakk

The Awesome
As you are so smart, explain in detail why the game runs in the same way even without turbo mode? With the advantages of having lower temperatures..

Some games benefit from increased CPU speed, some games just don't - depends how they are coded - for instance the MMO that I play benefits massively from increased CPU speed.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Some games benefit from increased CPU speed, some games just don't - depends how they are coded - for instance the MMO that I play benefits massively from increased CPU speed.

will bottleneck some games / cause framerate drops. If you have high temps, disabling turbo boost is not the answer. It would be like cutting off your head for a headache.

try to give a hand
I did. You didn't engage with it. Instead seeming to prefer the "I lopped off half my CPU's frequency and miraculously reduced temps, aren't I clever" approach. :/

ofc if you slice off boost taking the CPU from ~4.1/3.9GHz to 2.2GHz you're gonna see lower temps.......

You are nerfing the CPU's performance. But as I explained in my first post, that won't impact all games the same.

Try running 3Dmark Firestrike (free version, obviously...) with and without turbo boost and see what happens.

I might consider an undervolt.

I said 86 degrees is warm but not deadly i.e. that the 'problem' isn't necessarily a problem. I suggested you consider an undervolt. Others might suggest a repaste. You did get advice, you just didn't engage with it.

I don't see why this attempt to help will get through any more successfully than the first. But I do like lost causes.

Last edited: