PCS pc stopped booting

Hooson

Hi guys would love some help if you can give it. Im having some trouble booting my pc its started with some blue screens inside windows 7 giving this error, Machine_Check_Exeption with a few lines of code. When booting my pc back up it says overclocking has failed when I have never tried to oc. after skipping this its then giving me the option to launch windows repair or start windows normally. Windows repair freezes as its loading the files and start windows normally freezes on the spinning logo at the start! If i dont get the message overclocking has failed I will get no signal output at all and quite often the gpu light will remain red and not even a light on the device LED. 99% of the time I am getting No signal Output now.

Tried a different GPU to no avail. Tried different ram to no avail. Tried booting without the SSD still no output signal. Tried leaving the cmos battery out for 15 minutes. deep cleaned everything and put some new thermal paste on the cpu. Stuck for anwsers now really cant afford to get this repaired a the shop so any more tips would be brilliant!

Specs - Asus P9X79, GTX 1080 FTW, 16GB DDR3, WINDOWS 7 HP, 750W PS.

Also the HDMI cable works fine, no signal with dvi either.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Machine_Check_Exception is usually a hardware error.

Can you get the PC to boot anything? Try the Windows 7 installation DVD, though I'd replace the original GPU, SSD and RAM first.

Removing the CMOS battery was a good idea, I'd replace it too whilst you're at it. Also check the motherboard manual to see whether there is a jumper setting on the board to clear the CMOS configuration.

If you can into the BIOS setup then load the 'default configuration' and try booting Windows again.

Hooson

I have managed to get back in randomly. But keep on blue screening every 20-30 minutes. This has been happening for a long time now probably well over a year. but sometimes can be up and working for weeks on end and short intervals and then not at all for ages? Boot Device LED is red the majority of the time i have no idea what to do as its not cheap to just buy a new mobo if thats not the problem

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If it works sometimes then that quite good news. There are several tests worth doing, though I appreciate it might be hard to keep it running long enough to do the tests. :)

1. Open an elevated command prompt and enter the command "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). That will test the integrity of your Windows system files, it will take some time to complete (you get a % indicator to show you how far it's got). If that reports errors found but not corrected let us know (it's not the end of the world if it does).

2. In the same command prompt enter the command "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) - you will have to reboot to get this test to run so do that. That will test the the integrity of both the Windows file system and the disk surface (and make repairs if necessary), it may take a while to run depending on the size of your disk. If that reports errors found but not corrected then let us know.

3. Download Memtest from https://www.memtest86.com/. You will burn the downloaded image to bootable media (DVD or USB stick) so be sure to download the right image for whatever media you use. You then burn the image to the bootable media (the tool does that for you) and then boot that media. Memtest will start running immediately. I like to leave it running overnight to get as many iterations of the various tests as possible. If Memtest shows ever a single error then re-run it with only one RAM card inserted at a time to find the flaky one.

Let us know how that goes....